1- Kissing Frogs

"Love.

It is a beautiful thing.

It hurts and aches, builds and twists, and maybe between lovers will their story be whispered in gists.

Maybe, lovers will settle with fists, but it'll always end with a kiss.

Though it is strong, it'll never override anger and fear, but it is until we lose it that we know we are wrong.

Wrong for infidelitious nights, and drunken fights.

Love, who is discreet and bold, weak and cold, who is in everyone and everything.

You can't deny it, because everyone desires it. Politicians, teachers, children, dogs-"

"Wait. You're gonna write your admittance letter on love?"

I drop my paper to my lap, staring at my mom with incredulity. She lays on my plush bed with her fists on her chin, eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"They said to write a 500 word essay about an emotion we resonate with the most!" I whine, throwing the paper away from me. "It is an art school after all. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want me writing about anger or boredom. That wouldn't get me accepted."

"I know baby, but you don't have to strain yourself to go to this specific school for your junior year. It's full of children from the royal families, won't you be scared?" She says, sliding off the bed and walking to sit beside me on my window sill.

We both overlook the bustling city for a while, marveling at it's concrete beauty before I answer. "Your right. I'll definitely be scared. But I need the scholarships this school offers. We can't afford normal community college tuition."

"You can get a scholarship from any other school, though!" I roll my eyes.

I knew she was only worried about one thing. She was worried about the children of the remaining royal families, 'The Seven Monarchs'. They ruled pretty much everything and was above the law, since they made it.

They always got their way and did what they wanted. They were always your number one A-list musician or actress, talent definitely not needed to be successful. And they were all so beautiful. It's like they were each blessed be Aphrodite herself, each unique but with gorgeous features. The entire worlds heart throb in the early 2000's was King Sebastian the 2nd, who I crushed on until 5th grade.

The Bloodwyn Family, was the strongest and most plentiful of the families, the family everyone relied on. Though they weren't the richest, they were the best. Each family resided in a continent, having their own land and kingdom. Each consisted of at least 50 people, but the family in America consisted of 100.

So it was only to be expected 3 of the youngest go to the school I'm applying to.

"This is different, ma." She releases a sigh, nodding in understanding. But also defeat, because she knew there was no winning an argument with me. Her arms embrace me, and I return the hug warmly. "Come on, the shop is about to open. I need you to prep the items and sweep the floors. We have a lot of clients today!"

My mom owns a hair salon, open to all hair textures and lengths. Ever since my dad died, we've been tight around money. My mom and I work two jobs, her as a cook at a restaurant on weekends, and me as a retail person. It's hard, but we've been managing to make ends meet. His death, although it was years ago, still takes a toll on us. Especially my mother, who loved him dearly.

Since we had a two story house, it wasn't difficult to set up a salon on the first floor. It was well known and respected in Seattle, people coming from countries away just to get their hair braided by us. If we weren't knee deep in debt, we'd be the shit.