17- Caprice

The next morning, I woke up in my bed with a horrible migraine. I was able to sleep in my room- the maids cleaned up the paint and the officers had what they needed for evidence. Though, the smell of paint and feeling of malice never left. I twisted and turned in my sleep. Even when I was awake my stomach churned with the feeling of a threat.

My feet were absolutely sore. I danced until I could no longer, resorting on the help of a guard and elevator to take me to bed. It was a good thing they were done renovating the one in the main corridor on the first floor. I'd slept on the throne if I had to.

I didn't talk to Jasper ever since I found out what he did to me. How he betrayed me with Adrianna. And to be honest?

It fucking hurt.

Here I was, thinking me and him were getting better. That maybe, he put the dull brooding asshole act aside. And that maybe we could have a good relationship and learn to love each other. But he had to pull this bullshit. I will admit, I did cry myself to sleep. After my grandfather's rejection, Jasper's manipulative betrayal, and the feeling of the world staring at my every movement, how couldn't I?

Though I knew I did well in entertaining my guests and restoring my reputation, all it'd take to fuck that up was the smallest mistake. I couldn't help but feeling like I wasn't enough. Not enough for Jasper, for my father and grandfather, for everyone. A pretty face and dress won't satiate an unruly crowd. I don't know what Yannara saw in me that made her chase me so long and hard. But maybe she just really wanted to play rock, paper, scissors.

Without the rock and paper.

I sat up in my bed, rubbing my neck. It's a good thing it was the weekend- I think I'd die if I had to go to school right now. Adrianna would already be fuming, plotting ways to kill me. But she didn't need to worry about me anymore. She had everything she wanted, me just being a thorn in her side. From the looks of it, she also had Jasper in her pretty little manicured finger tips.

Literally.

I envied it. I envied that he wanted her, that he was genuine in his feelings towards her; sexually, at least. But I threw that feeling away just as quickly. Why should I hurt for him anyway? I have the world at my feet. With how many desired stares I was getting yesterday, I could fuck anyone, anytime, if I wanted to.

Suddenly, my phone rings, snapping me out of my devious thoughts. I look at the ID and snatch it greedily. "Mom!" I exclaim in pure joy.

"Hi, baby." She says softly, her voice still weak. My heart lurches in my chest at the sound.

"How are you today?" I ask.

I could hear her shuffling on the other end, grunting as she did so. I winced. "Could be better. I saw you on the news! You were so beautiful baby." She says, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

"Aww, ma! I only wish you were there. It was so fun, everyone was so cool!" I exclaim, plopping back on my bed and laying on my stomach. I kicked my feet, remembering the good things about last night. I wouldn't focus on the bad things while I talked to my mom.

"Oh, really? Who'd you meet?" She asks.

"I met Queen Siobhan, King Antony, Queen Yuki!"

"Oooh, Queens and Kings! Who else, did you meet Queen Esmeralda and King Cameron?"

"No, but I met Lady Naomi, Lord Balon, and..." Despite me not wanting to remember the bad things about yesterday, my mind wasn't so compliant.

My mother notices my silence, and like the mother she is, it's as if she read my mind. "You met him, didn't you?"