26- Life And Death

Agile.

Swift.

Deadly.

Beautiful.

Graceful.

Cadaverous.

Deleterious.

Celestial.

All those words, yet none described Jasper as of now.

He was poised in the shadows, his brown, nearly red eyes glowing amongst the darkness like a lit match. His jaw and muscles taut, flowing with barely controlled anger. His stance tight and controlled, expression beyond cold, eyebrows scrunched, lips in a cross line.

His eyes, though I could barely see from the long distance between us, was welled with tears. His face was distraught, as if previously crying, pink lips raw from biting. And I too began to cry myself as I took in how devastated he was as his eyes scanned me. His lips parted as if to scream, but his teeth glued themselves together.

No words could explain how beautiful, how lustrous, he looked as of now. He looked like the Angel of Death, beautifully waiting for the world to burn. He was pissed enough to light it himself. And all of it was for me.

His thick hands wrapped themselves around his bow, the wood nearly splintering in half under his anger. His bow was knocked into place, aimed directly at Yannara's green eye. I could feel her shudder behind me as she stared back at him, holding onto me tighter.

"And why should I let her go? Why should I give her back to you?" She asks, and I lean my head back as her knife digs uncomfortably close to my neck. It was difficult to walk, with the wound bleeding insanely in my leg, and the cuts in the rest of my body.

My soft whimpers interrupts the silence in the quiet hall. I could hear an army gathering on either sides, and could see multiple arrows trained exactly on Yannara. But if they shot her, it'd be too late. Her knife would cut into me faster than they could breathe.

"Because if you don't let her go now, your fate would be worse than it already is."

"And how's that so?" She asks, but I could hear the nervousness in her voice. She wasn't expecting this output at all.

"You kidnapped the future Queen of the country, my bride, tortured her, and stalked her. You already have countless crimes under your name that'll ruin your life." He states.

"Now, tell me, do you wish to keep your life? You're on thin ice as is. I wish nothing more than to take your life myself." He is now closer, and I could feel the death radiating off of him. The death he was ready to give.

Yannara had nowhere to run. But that only made her desperate.

"Quit stalling. If she bleeds out and dies, you'll die. You'll die regardless if you don't let her go."

Jasper and I make eye contact, and I could almost feel his emotions, hear what he was thinking.

Trust me.

I bite my lip, fighting away the tears that kept springing.

"It's just not fair! All your life, you got everything you wanted! Why can't I have something to myself?" She shrieks, wildly swinging at nearby bystanders.

"You think Iris is just an object you can have whenever you want?!"

"No! But she's mine! I claimed her first-"

"By manipulating her like a sociopath and deluding her?!"

Yannara is silent as she is confronted by the immorality of her actions.