10- Threats

"Pack everything you have, and let's go."

My mother scrambles franticly, packing multiple duffel bags of things she needed the most. We'd be coming back for the rest of our stuff later, once we find out where we will live.

I can't believe all this is happening. Just hours ago, I was talking with Jasper and his parents, and basically having an adventure. Now, I'm packing all of my things because my life has been put in jeopardy.

Why did things have to turn out like this? I never wanted anything to be like this. I never wanted to be betrothed to some random dude. I never wanted to find out my dad was a deadbeat, that I was- technically- a noble bastard.

All I wanted was to go to school. I guess my mom was right after all. My actions have consequences. If I didn't enroll...I'd be in public school, minding my business and worrying if my hair looked okay. Not worrying if I'd have to meet a King or be harmed by someone who just wanted to harm someone royal.

Because let's be honest. Who likes royalty? They're rich, snobby, and out of touch with life. Spoiled, entitled people will never be liked. People will envy them, hate them, use them. Now that I'm betrothed to Jasper... I'm one of them, by association.

I'll never be able to get that phrase out of my head. Betrothed to Jasper. Sucks, doesn't it? Despite the multiple moments we had during my time at the castle, it still sucked. He was insufferable when he wanted to be. And God he always wanted to be.

I finish packing my clothes, school books, and hygiene products. Where we would be going, I had no idea. We can't go to any of our family- my mother grew up in foster care, and my father's family was halfway across the country.

So that left us only one option, an option I dreaded the moment I thought of it.

The Bloodwyn Castle.

It looks like this day just keeps getting worse. My mother covers up the busted windows with sheets and tape, to keep everything out while we were gone. And we'd be gone for a while. No way are we living here when someone broke in so easily, so quickly.

Even now, as the police officer stays in the house with us, do my bones feel shaky and my body quivering. The feeling of someone watching me was overwhelming. The fear of someone out for me was...

I finish packing, eager to leave. My mother felt the same way, sweat pooling above her eyebrow. She was on the phone as she packed and fixed, letting everyone know that our salon would be closed.

She was devasted, her main source of finance corrupt. Though she would be at the castle with me and...the queen, she still wanted a steady source of income. I don't know why she fretted, though. Ten crystals hanging from the ceiling was enough to keep her afloat for a month.

We both head to our car, placing our bags in the trunk. The officer leaves after my mother files a report, giving her a kind smile. We hop in the front seats, sitting in silence for a moment. Then my mother tries to start the car, but her hands are so shaky she can't even put the keys in.

"Mom, let me drive." I say softly. She gave me a fretful look, her sunken eyes terrified. Though she was a strong woman, she was a faint heart. Things scared her easily. She was small and frail. I'm surprised she didn't have a heart attack right as she saw the busted down door.

"Okay. Do you know where to go?" She asks. I nod, stepping out the car. "Go in the backseat, ma. Take a nap, you need it."

She weighs this, contemplating heavily. I could see her trying to say no, but giving up and agreeing. She did need rest. She worked every day of the week, only sleeping five hours each night.