28- Mea Culpa

"For the first time in 20 years, The Bloodwyn Royal Family has decreed an execution trial done by the heir! As of late, the betrothed Lady Iris Mays has been plagued by a stalker known as Yannara Ramsey, who has made many attempts on her and her families life! Her sentence shall be carried out by Jasper Bloodwyn-"

I cut the television off furiously. It angered me that news of Yannara's execution has reached the news so quickly, despite our discretion about it. We made no intent on having it be public.

Yesterday, I was discharged out of the hospital with minimal healing to be left. My mother did her best to accompany me, but all I wanted was space from her. I wanted space from everyone and everything.

Today, Jasper and I would be leaving to talk with Yannara's family. I saw it to be slightly disrespectful, after we have told them that their daughter is to be executed. It also made me feel extremely uncomfortable, soon being forced to look into the eyes of my assaulters parents, and I knew it'd kill them to look into the eyes of their daughters murderer.

Then tomorrow would be her trial.

My head was pounding with pain, to which no amount of medicine could numb. The onslaught of the weeks events, my moms news to me- which, I'm sure, isn't even half of it- and not to mention homework I've been missing for the past two weeks. I knew that since I was basically royalty now, it wasn't particularly necessary, but I want to earn my education.

"You've been awfully quiet."

I look to my side, watching Jasper steer the wheel of his car as his drove us to the castle. I got a sense of deja vu for a brief moment, and a smile lit my down casted face.

"Just...thinking." I answer quietly, reaching my hand out to caress his cheek. My finger wrapped around his long unruly curly hair, which was starting to get long.

"You know, I can do this by myself. You don't have to come with me." He says, gritting his teeth as he is reminded of our situation once again. A stifling silence fills the car.

"I thought we were in this together?" I ask. He stops at a traffic light and stares at me, assessing my wellbeing. I smile at him, assuring him that I'm okay. We will be okay. He drives again, and from the GPS signal I know we were almost there. A twist lurches my gut, and I groan. It felt terrible to be doing this, but it was needed. Apprehension worsened the throb in my skull, but I pushed it all down.

We finally pull to a stop in a medium sized, well refined house. It was three stories tall with burgundy bricks- ironic- and with a freshly cut, large lawn. White lilies littered the gardens, emitting a sensational smell. It was a beautiful simple house, and but I knew the inhabitants in it were plagued with misery. Jasper parks the car, to which we sit in silence for three minutes.

"Are you sure?" He asks, reaching out to grab my hand tightly. Tremors rolled down his hand and it was then I realized he needed me as well. He was only 18, carrying out duties way out of his character. Way out of his control, his maturity. He was still young and already forced to carry the world on his shoulders. Shit, he's probably been forced to do so since he was born. He had no one to truly be there for him emotionally.

Until now. "It's gonna be okay." I reach across the armrest between us to kiss him lightly, my thumb caressing his cheek. His hand holds onto the back of my skull, deepening the kiss.

We pull away, bracing ourselves for one last time before we stepped foot into Yannara's families house. Jasper goes to the trunk of his car to pull out two very large bouquet's that I'm sure in no way atone for what will proceed to happen tomorrow. I grab one of them, smoothing out my long black cocktail skirt that I borrowed from Jasmine. Winter was slowly approaching, it's tendrils of misery and cruel cold stealthily crawling in, all the more reminding me of the Pagos family...chills twisted my spine with a sharp inclination to torture.