18- Dubiety

"I knew Jasper had siblings and I'd have to meet them, but I didn't think I'd see you so soon. And today."

We were currently in our first hour, Jasmine sitting besides me. Jasper, who had his schedule changed to accommodate mine, sat across the room from us while throwing sorrowful glances. Yannara sat at the table next to us, eyeing Jasmine jealously. I was still furious about her nearly getting me killed less than twenty minutes ago. Jasmine, who was a junior like me, just got back from her extended vacation from New Mexico.

Hence explaining why she's at school two weeks late, and with an aggressive tan that looked unusual on her once pale skin. She took after King Sebastian greatly. She had his raven hair, thick lashes and pale skin, but Queen Felicity's eyes and full lips. She was around my height, standing at 5'7. Her body was lithe as if she worked out a lot. But so was everyone else in the Bloodwyn Family.

Our teacher paired us together so I could help her catch up. But she didn't seem to care much about math- rather, she cared more about me. Not once did she take her eyes off me, even when she was drowning us in a cloud of perfume or fixing her hair or getting out a new piece of gum. She barely paid any attention to her brother, either.

"Yeah, well, Jasper doesn't like me much. I doubt he talked about our younger brother Judas?" She asks, arching a perfect brow. Her raven hair brushes past her slender shoulders as she tilts her head.

"No..." I say, glancing towards him. He catches my gaze, holding it for a few moments. My heart lurches in my chest as I watch those pieces of verdite swirl in a sea of quartz, capturing me once more. I looked away. I could feel his reproach from across the room, like waves of anger. We still hadn't talked yet, and I planned to keep it that way until absolutely necessary.

"Ooh, I sense a lovers quarrel!" Jasmine exclaims, clapping her hands and scooting closer to me. She pays no attention to the missing work packet on her desk.

"Tell me, tell me the beans!" Her acrylic nails satisfyingly clinkle together in glee.

"There's nothing going on between us." I say, going back to my work.

"Oh, Iris I'm not dumb! I know my brother, and I can see he is infatuated with you."

I turn to look at her irritably. "Did he pay you to say that? To win my favor?" I ask.

"Not enough money in the world will keep me from saying what is factual. That's quite literally by the way, I'm pretty rich. And what is factual is that he likes you!"

"He likes toying with me."

Her eyebrows pull together, almost forming a line. "What'd he do this time?" She asks. The silly demeanor she had just seconds ago vanished as quickly as it came. She sat upright, her unfaltering attention on me.

"I...don't want to talk about it. We have work to do." I say, focusing back on my work. I'm almost done solving an equation until I feel eyes boring into all three sides of my head. I put my pencil down and glare at all three of them, my nose flaring. I could feel a slight headache coming on, causing my eyes to water.

"You know, we're technically sisters now. And sisters tell each other everything."

"And so do brothers. Go ask him." I say. For the first time in minutes she looks away from me, considering it. "Okay."

She stands up to go to Jasper, forcing the kid next to him to move. He scurries away, his face blushing like crazy. The teacher pretends not to notice this ordeal, particularly to keep his job. I go back to my work, laying my head down on my arm as I did so. Once again, someone got up but this time to sit by my side.