9- Messages

After Jasper's sudden display of vulnerable emotions, we sit in silence. Neither of us bother to speak, just basking in the comfort of each other's presence. Never would I have imagined such an eventful day. In just four hours I've seen things I never wanted to see, but also things I needed to.

I did things I never would've normally had time to, I literally met a King- even though he wasn't in the least bit flattering. I shot from a longbow, got in a sauna, roamed a castle, and argued with royalty. How better can this day get?

I'm happy for my mother. I wouldn't say so much about her choice in lovers, but I'm happy that she's moving on. Or at least had. I still have yet to know from her. She is mysterious to me, so secretive. And why? To protect me furthermore?

I'm a big girl. I can handle seeing my mother kissing women. What I can't handle is being put in the dark, and not knowing anything about the person closest to me. Maybe that's why I'm so persistent to get to know Jasper. Or anyone, as a matter of fact. To be only trusting with them and them with me.

But to be honest... I never had a person close to me like that. I envied people with best friends they'd sacrifice their life for. Relationships with their parents so strong they can almost read their mind.

I envied all of it.

"We should get going." Jasper says, face devoid of emotion. He looked tired. I truly hoped he'd be okay.

"Yea." We both stand up slowly, careful not to make eye contact or say anything to let off any emotional bombs. "Even though you don't wanna talk about it, I will."

I couldn't think of anything to say. Well, anything that wouldn't piss him off. He, much like me, had been on the edge for a while. Seeing his very own parents obviously display their dislike towards each other pushed him off.

"I'm sorry. About everything."

He finally looks at me, his eyes low and dead. It was truly frightening to see. But I was also insanely apologetic. I couldn't go about my day knowing my mother's sexual affairs was ruining someone else's day. Someone that possibly didn't deserve that trauma. I'd have to talk to them both about it, and soon.

I stretch up on my tip toes, slowly wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders and pulling him closer. My hand rested on the small of his neck and back, softly and tenderly.

It was weird of me to inhale his scent, basking in all the mixtures of aromas he had on him. Books, oranges, roses, paints. But was it even weirder that I shuddered as the fragrances traveled down my nose, chills going down my spine like electric spiders crawling frantically?

His hands hesitantly placed themselves on my waist, his head basking further into the crook of my neck. His hair tickled my cheeks and ear. His shuddering breath fanned on my collarbone, sending another shiver down me, but farther down my hips...

We both separate, and I walk away from him quickly, not bothering to say another word. But before I fully left, I looked over my shoulder. He stood in the same spot, his head still low and sorrowful. His hair covered his face, masking his expression. But his hands were pulling on his black shirt, pulling it down past his pants forcefully.

His eyes flicker to me momentarily, the brown in them so dark it was almost red. It caught me momentarily off balance and snatched my breath away from me. That shudder I felt earlier stayed, not moving above my hips but staying down below.

I hope he feels better.

Moments later, after about twenty minutes of walking away from Jasper's hideout, I see my mom wringing her hands nervously in the main hall. She looked as if she fixed herself up but was still frantic. As soon as she spots me, relief floods her face.