Chapter 2 - Showdown at the Pokémon Center

The sun was setting on the day Ash began his Pokémon journey. His Pikachu was heavily injured from an encounter with a hoard of angry bird Pokémon. He did manage to catch another Pokémon, a Pidgey, but it was injured as well. On the outskirts of the city, Ash met an orange-haired girl who was no older than he was. The two began to race to Veridian City in hopes of reaching the Pokémon Center. Veridian City was a quiet urban city with housing, hospitals, and just about everything a city needs to function. Near the border of the city was a small police station, big enough for one person to move about, make announcements over a P.A. system, and keep an eye on anyone or anything out of the ordinary.
   "Attention citizens of Veridian City, attention please," announced a female voice of the P.A. system. "We have recently received word of Pokémon thieves in our area. Be on the lookout for any suspicious characters. I say again, be on the lookout for any suspicious characters."
   Ash and Misty were rushing through the streets, where an officer was watching them from outside the station.

   As Ash continued running, he looked down at Pikachu who was unconscious but still breathing.
   "Hold on Pikachu," Ash said softly. "I'll save you."
   "Stop right there," said the officer from the small station. "Just where do you two think you're going with that Pokémon?"
   "This is my Pikachu," snapped Ash. "He and I came from Pallet Town, and if I don't get him to a Pokémon Center soon he'll...He'll..."
   The orange-haired girl looked at Ash and then, at the police officer. The officer had teal hair, reddish-brown eyes, a blue top with a matching skirt, a light blue triangle on the top, a red trim on her collar, a cap that was the same color as the top and skirt but with red trim, white gloves, and a pair of black heels.
   "Hey, hey, hey," said the officer in an apologetic tone. "I'm sorry young man. We've been getting reports of Pokémon thieves around here lately. Just show me your I.D. and I won't hold you anymore."
   "My I.D." Ash snapped again.
   "We don't have time for this," said the orange-haired girl. "Can't you do this when we get to the Pokémon Center!?"
   "Well, how do I know you're Pokémon trainers without an I.D.," asked the officer. "All trainers were given one with their Pokéballs and Pokémon."
   "Wait, Ash," said the orange-haired girl suddenly. "What were you given aside from your Pikachu and Pokéballs?"
   Ash pulled out his Pokédex and did not see the purpose of her question, but the officer gasped and snatched it out of Ash's hands.
   "This should help," said the officer as she pressed buttons on the device. "If you are who you say you are, then this will have...Here it is."
   "I am Dexter," said Ash's Pokédex. "A Pokédex programmed by Professor Oak. I have been assigned to Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town to provide advice on Pokémon and their training. I cannot be replaced if lost or stolen."
   "Well, what do you know," Ash said as he took his Pokédex back.
   "I'm sorry Ash," said the officer. "Now, for your friend here."
   The orange-haired girl pulled out a card and handed it to the officer.
   "Again, sorry for the hold-up," apologized the officer. "Let me help you take Pikachu to the Pokémon Center."
   "Really," Ash said. "Thank you, officer."
   "You go on ahead Ash, I'll meet you at the center," said the Orange-haired girl.

   The officer opened the station's garage to reveal a motorcycle with a sidecar. Ash hopped into the sidecar with Pikachu in his arms while the officer started her engines and drove off as if she was in hot pursuit of a suspect or confirmed criminal. After leaving, the girl hopped on her bike and peddled as fast as her legs could carry her. On the outside of the station was a wanted poster of two people; a red-haired woman, and a man with periwinkle hair. However, their faces were obscured. From behind the station, a man and woman in trenchcoats walked up to the poster and ripped it off its plack.
   "Great, a wanted poster," said the woman.
   "So much for a low profile," added the man. "And they didn't even catch my good side."
   "Are you happy that the photographer caught the real you?"
   "Of course. This face must be seen to be believed. Veridian City will be sorry for obscuring my face."
   "Stay focused you, idiots," said a third voice from below the two. It was a cat creature with a big head, brown patches on its feet, a tail similar to a Rattata that had another brown patch near the end, black-rimmed ears, two whiskers on its cheeks, two on the top of its head, sapphire-blue eyes, and an ovate golden object attached it its forehead. "We're here to catch rare Pokémon."
   "But of course, Meowth," said the man.
   "Let's head to the Pokémon Center," said the woman. "There's bound to be plenty ripe for the picking."