Chapter 7 - The Sensational Cerulean Gym

For two days, Ash and his friends have been traveling in the unmapped forest. With directions from their friend Melanie, the group was back on track to Cerulean City, where Ash hoped to win his first legitimate gym badge. Misty was bringing up the rear as the group marched toward the city. Suddenly, an idea popped into her head.
   "Hey Ash," Misty called out. "Are you sure you still wanna go to Cerulean City?"
   "Uh...Yeah," Ash questioned. "Why do you ask?"
   "Well, why not go to Vermillion City," Misty said. "There's plenty of cool Pokémon over there. Plus a bunch of beautiful yachts pulling into the harbors, and there's a beautiful picnic area where you can watch the sunset."
   "Misy..." Ash said. "Brock suggested that Cerulean was a good option for beginning trainers."
   "Yeah Misty," Brock interjected. "Don't worry, we can visit Vermilion City later."
   Ash, Brock, and Pikachu continued down the road to Cerulean City, leaving Misty behind.
   Why do these things happen to me, Misty asked herself. Maybe I can beat them there.
   Misty picked up her supplies and ran through the woods as fast as she could.

*

   When Ash and Brock entered the city, they were stunned by the beauty of the city. It was an ideal blend of nature with trees and gardens, and urban living with neighborhoods, and shops.
   "This place is beautiful," Ash commented.
   "Sure is," Brock agreed.
   Ash looked behind him to see Misty was not behind him.
   "Wait, where did Misty go," asked Ash.
   "Hey, that's a good question," Brock pondered. "She did seem pretty determined to keep us away from here."
   "But why," Ash asked.
   Pikachu whined in sadness which Ash could feel. Ash picked up the electric rodent and the trio strode downtown. While there, they saw a crowd gathered around a police crime scene. Officers in uniforms stood attentively around posts covered in caution tape. Ash and Brock joined the crowd and were just as shocked and confused as the rest of the audience. Wanting to understand more, Ash noticed a man next to him.
   "Excuse me, sir," Ash began. "Do you know what happened?"
   "Some burglars robbed the place last night," the man answered. "And the police haven't been privy to details."
   "I see, thank you," Ash said before a booming male voice yelled at him.
   "What you know about them boy," said the man.
   Ash and Brock quickly spun around to see it was a man with teal hair, brown eyes, a blue shirt with a light blue V-shape, red cuffs on the sleeves, golden buckles, and a matching cap.
   "I've never seen you two around her," he continued.
   "Wait...you look...familiar," Ash said as he scratched his head.
   "Is that so..." the man said with a smirk as he took out a pair of handcuffs.
   Ash panicked. He knew he was innocent. Why was this one officer accusing him? But an idea popped into his head.
   "Wait," Ash said as he pulled out his Pokédex. "Maybe this will prove something."
   "I am Dexter," said the Pokédex. "A Pokédex programmed by Professor Oak. I have been assigned to Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town to provide advice on Pokémon and their training. I cannot be replaced if lost or stolen."
   "You're a Pokémon trainer," the officer asked. "Oh, please excuse my rashness. I've been on edge with the robbery lately. And what about you sir?"
   Brock pulled out a wallet from one of his pockets and handed an ID card to the officer.
   "Gym Leader Brock from Pewter City," he said. "I'm just taking some time off and left the duties to my father, the previous leader."
   "Seems legitimate to me," the officer said as he handed the card back. "Again, I apologize for my behavior. This is the first time something this severe has happened."
   "Oh, now I remember," Ash smiled. "Do you know an officer from Veridian City called Jenny?"
   "They that's my sister," the man smiled. "Glad to know I wasn't the only one who did this.
   Anyways, I'll have to ask the two of you to move along now."

   Ash smiled and gave the officer a salute before he and Brock left the crime scene. As they left, the officers began to shoe people away so they could work, and restore some semblance of order. The two walked along until they came to a bench, but Ash's heart was pumping like a jackhammer. Brock tried to calm him down and Pikachu nuzzled into the cheek.
   "Th-Thanks guys..." Ash stammered.
   "Calm down Ash, you proved yourself innocent," Brock said as he rubbed Ash's shoulder.
   "Good thing you had your Pokédex."
   "And you had that card," Ash said. "Speaking of, is that some kind of license?"
   "Yep, each Gym Leader is appointed one when they take up the position," Brock explained.
   "And in case a leader takes a leave of absence, previous leaders can step in, even if they're retired."
   "That's pretty cool Brock," Ash said. "Oh, before I forget, do you happen to know anything about the gym leader?"
   "Why's that," Brock inquired.
   "Well, I wanna know as much as I can before our match," Ash explained. "Know yourself, know your adversary. That's what my dad would say, according to my mom."
   "I get ya Ash," said Brock. "Here's the thing, I never really left Pewter City before. So, I don't know much about the leader here. And even if I did, I can't tell you due to respect for my colleagues."
   "I think I get it."
   "Anyways, I'm gonna head back into town for some supplies. I'll meet you at the gym when I'm done."
   "Okay, just be safe out there."
   Brock and Ash separated from each other, leaving Ash and Pikachu to their own devices.
   "You ready to go Pikachu," asked Ash.
   Pikachu let out a happy cry signifying his approval.