Chapter 12 - Dangers in Porto Vista

The sun was shining brightly through a window in the Pokémon Center of Porto Vista. Ash woke with the window open and the smell of the beach filling his nostrils. After a few minutes, Ash went to the Pokémon Center lobby where Brock and Misty were waiting.
   "Morning Ash," Misty called out.
   "How'd you sleep," Brock asked.
   "Hey guys," Ash smiled as he tried to crack his neck. "Felt like I slept for days on end."
   "After yesterday, I'm not surprised," Misty commented. "Hey speaking of, why don't we head down to the beach?"
   "Uh...What's the connection here," Ash asked.
   "Well, after thwarting Team Rocket on the SS Anne, we could all use a little vacation time," Brock explained.
   "That makes sense," Ash said thinking the situation over. "Alright, we'll have some time at the beach and we'll head out tomorrow."
   The group high-fived each other and went to prepare the beach attire.

*

   James was holding the Pokéball that contained his Magikarp. He was standing on the shoreline with a hand in his pocket while looking at the flopping fish Pokémon. As he looked at Magikarp, James' face was sad.
   "I'm sorry you had to be sold," James said to the Pokémon. "Not having a choice of your own."
Magikarp stopped splashing and looked at James curiously, but its face was unchanged.
   "I guess...I guess I was myself in you," James continued. "If the boss found this out he'd have my head and you'd be in an even more terrible spot."
   James looked at Magikarp and was pondering for a moment. He knelt down to meet Magikarp face-to-face
   "Do you...understand me," James asked.
   Magikarp let out a small cry and splashed once to signify its compliance. James smirked and gently petted the redfish Pokémon.
   "Alright, time for training," James said. "I want you to swim around the entire island as fast as you can. I'll time you."
   Magikarp splashed around a couple of times before swimming as fast as it could.
   "So, Jame," Jessie said. "How's your training going?"
   "It just started Jessie," James responded coldly.
   "Hey, I overheard you say you see something in Magikarp," Jessie said. "You never talked about your time before the academy."
   "Your point," James asked as he was getting a bit annoyed.
   "Why did you join Team Rocket in the first place," Jessie asked bluntly.
   "Because I promised myself I wouldn't be forced into doing what others wanted," James answered somewhat cryptically.
   Jessie looked at James from behind. His attitude was different from what she was accustomed to. Normally James was the anchor of the trio, with Jessie being the leader, and Meowth filling a multitude of roles the team needed. This was something Jessie would need to look into as soon as she was at home base again.

*

   Acapulco, Porta Vista's largest seaside resort. Lined with palm trees, crystal clear blue waters, and a seemingly endless beach. Ash and Brock had changed into their swimming attire in the resort's changing rooms. Brock had a pair of bright blue trucks while Ash had a dark teal. Both were holding towels, Brock held an umbrella, and Ash a pool floating tube. After a few minutes of setting up, Ash, Brock, and Pikachu grinned and jumped into the water. They resurfaced a moment later and were laughing like they were having the time of their lives.
   "Cool Water," Brock said.
   "And a hot beach," Ash finished. "What more could you ask for?"
   "Well...Maybe..." Brock stammered a bit.
   "Brock," Ash asked as Pikachu swam with the pool tube.
   "Sorry Ash I'm...I'm kind of a hopeless romantic," Brock answered shamefully.
   "Oh...okay," Ash said confusingly.

   Just then, the voice of Misty came out from behind the boys.
   "Guys, I thought you'd wait for me," Misty smiled as she called out. "How's the water?"
   Ash and Brock turned around to see Misty wearing a pair of white sandals, a Pokéball styled beach ball, and a red two-piece bikini. Ash, Brock, and Pikachu looked at Misty dumbfoundedly for a few moments before Misty was shocked.
   "What's wrong," she asked. "Why're staring at me?"
   "S-S-Sorry," Ash panicked with a very subtle blush on his cheeks. "We're um..."
   "I think what Ash is trying to say is that we're used to seeing you as a tomboy," Brock finished.
   "Oh, sorry about that," Misty said nervously. "I kinda forgot about that."
   Thank you, Brock, Ash said to himself.
   Suddenly, Ash came to a realization and quickly scrambled back to their spot on the beach.
   "Ash," Misty called out. "What're doing?"
   Ash dried his hands off with his hands and picked up his Pokéballs.
   "COME ON OUT GUYS," Ash called out as he threw them into the air.
   Each of his Pokémon was released out of their balls and looked at Ash for a moment.
   "Alright guys," Ash said. "All of us are having a beach day to relax. Have some fun, and relax. Okay?"
   Ash's Pokémon cried out excitedly and went off to have fun. Misty and Brock did the same a moment later.