Chapter 3 - The Buggy Samurai

Author's Note: I'm sorry if this is a very long chapter, but I essentially tried to merge two episodes into one. Still, please enjoy the latest retooling of Ash's adventures.

   After resting in the Pokémon Center in Veridian City, Ash and Misty traveled north of the city and found themselves in Veridian Forest. This forest was home to bird and grass Pokémon, but it would soon prove to be a place Misty would want to avoid altogether.
   "Hey Misty, mind if I ask something," asked Ash with his hands behind his head.
   "Sure," Misty responded calmly.
   "Why exactly did you want to travel with me and Pikachu?"
   "Well, I don't get much of a chance to travel as is," Misty explained. "And it's usually better when you have someone to share the journey with."
   "Ah..." responded Ash with an awkward tone.
   As the two continued to walk through the path, something caught Misty's eye. It was a worm-like creature with a green hyde, a pink head crest, big eyes on the side of its head, a short tube-like shape for a mouth, a yellow underbelly, four nubs the color of its underbelly, five rings that were the same color, and an ovate object on its tail. Misty let out a loud scream, forcing Ash to cover his ears with a grimace.
   "W-What was that for," Ash demanded.
   "BUUUG," shouted Misty.
   "Huh," Ash questioned as he looked at the Pokémon that scared Misty. "Wait, that's a Caterpie!"
   Ash was as gitty as a schoolgirl with stars in his eyes and pulled out an empty Pokéall.
   "W-Wait, you're gonna catch it," Misty panicked. "You can't be serious Ash!"

   Ash and Caterpie stared each other down with Caterpie not changing its expression. Pressing the button on the Pokéball to make it expand, Ash then threw the ball at the bug Pokémon. The ball landed square on the bug's head and bounced away. Like Pidgey, Caterpie transformed into a red glow and was sucked into the Pokéball. Thirty seconds later, the ball dinged, and Ash jumped in the air with his fist raised before rushing to the ball and admiring it for a moment. Pikachu soon came up to him and was smiling brightly.
   "Check it out Pikachu," Ash smiled. "We've made a new friend."
   Pikachu sniffed the Pokéball and let out a happy cry. Misty was quivering under a tree, which Ash soon noticed.
   "Hey Misty," Ash said as he came to her. "Why're you still shaking?"
   "I hate bugs," Misty shouted angrily. "Even if they're in Pokéballs. Just keep it away from me!"
   "We'll see what everyone else has to say," Ash retorted as he pulled out another Pokéball. "Caterpie, Pidgey, come on out!!"
   Ash tossed both balls into the air and in a white flash of light, the bird and word Pokémon appeared on the ground in front of Ash. Pidgey looked at Caterpie and vice-versa.
   "Pidgey, this is our new friend Caterpie," Ash said to the tiny bird.
   Pidgey let out a happy cry, showed a friendly face, and extended a wing to greet his new companion. Caterpie reached with his little nub to touch Pidgey's wing, and Pikachu would do the same to Caterpie.

   However, when Caterpie caught its eyes on Misty, it crawled towards her so fast, that dirt was being kicked up.
   "C-Caterpie," Ash called out.
   Misty screamed again as Caterpie rubbed its head against her leg. Ash smiled at the event with Pikachu and Pidgey joining his side.
   "Hey, he likes you, Misty," Ash grinned.
   "GET THIS BUG AWAY FROM ME," she shouted as she dropped to her knees.
   Caterpie moved its head towards, Misty, but she spastically crawled away while begging the but Pokémon to leave her alone.
   "Jeeze Misty, what's your problem with bug Pokémon," Ash said with annoyance. "Ever since we've met Caterpieall you've done is scream and beg me to get him away from you!!"
   "Everyone has things they don't like," Misty shouted back. "And bugs are among my top three!"
   "Well Caterpie has feelings too," Ash snapped. "And I don't appreciate your hurting my friend with your stupid fear!"
   Misty scoffed as she faced away from Ash, while Caterpie looked from Misty to Ash. Ash got down on one knee and gently reached out, but stopped a few inches away from the worm Pokémon.
   "Come on little guy," Ash smiled. "Hop on my shoulder."
   Caterpie looked to Pikachu and Pidgey, who both gave Ash a nod before climbing on Ash's right shoulder. Once on Ash's shoulder, he cuddled his face into Ash's face with a happy cry.
   "Let's go guys," Ash said. "We got a long road to go down."
   Ash began walking as casually as could be leaving Misty behind. Pikachu walked next to him, and Pidgey flew up high in the air.
   "W-W-Wait, you can just leave me here," Misty called out.
   "I can leave those who hurt my friends," Ash retorted as he kept walking through the forest.