Chapter 8 - Abandoned in the Rain

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I hope you're enjoying the story thus far, despite how drastic the changes are. I'm gonna be taking a small break after this chapter because 1.) I'm going on a weekend getaway. And 2.) I got a lot of work on Jungle Force to do. That said, thanks for stopping by, and enjoy.

   Having flunked two gym badges, Ash is even more determined to challenge his next gym in Vermillion City. It had been two weeks since Ash began his adventures, and he was in for a long hike, as Vermillion City was a long way by foot. Misty could have ridden her bike, but she would have left the other behind, and may not give them a good impression.
   "Hey Brock, do you think there's a Pokémon Center nearby," Ash asked.
   "According to the map, there is," he answered. "We should get by lunchtime."
   "Thank goodness," Misty sighed. "It's nice camping, but you need a break from it every once in a while."
   "Just hold on a little longer Misty," Brock smiled.
   As the group continued traveling through a dirt road, a shadow began looming over them. The group saw a figure eclipsed in darkness; it resembled an obelisk at first, but after a minute, their eyes adjusted to see it was a large rock with a Pokémon on its flat top. The Pokémon had scally orange skin, a yellow underbelly, blue eyes, a tail curling upward, and a flame on its tail.
   "That's a Charmander," Ash gasped. "One of the beginner Pokémon options at Professor Oaks! He was my favorite when I was little."
   "Good eye Ash," Brock complimented.
   Ash pulled out his Pokédex and pointed it at the Charmander.
   "Charmander, the Lizard Pokémon," said the Pokédex. "From birth, the tip of its tail is set ablaze. It is said that if a Charmander's flame is put out, it will die."
   "DIE," Ash panicked as he looked at Charmander's tail, seeing it was barely lit. "That's not good. I better get it to the Pokémon Center."

   Ash pulled out a Pokéball and activated it before tossing it at Charmander. Charmander's eyes grew sharp, and quickly swatted the ball back at Ash with his tail. He caught the ball, stunned and unsure of what to do next.
   "Don't worry Ash, why don't you use one of my Water Pokémon," Misty suggested. "You'll have a better time that way."
   "Hold on guys," Brock announced. Take another look."
   Charmander was staring down Ash and his friends as the group saw it was panting and the flame was smaller than it should have been.
   "You think it used up too much energy to keep fighting," asked Ash.
   "Exactly," Brock said. "Give the ball another shot."
   Ash tossed the ball again, this time, landing on Charmander's head and it was absorbed into the ball. Instantly, Ash was starting to get excited, but after the ball wiggled twice, the ball burst open with Charmander still scowling at the group. It then unleashed a few small balls of fire At the group. Ash and the group evaded the fire, but the adrenaline was still in effect.
   Talk about an attitude problem, Ash told himself.
   Pikachu began jumping up on the rock, eventually meeting Charmander face to face. Sharing eye contact for about a minute, the electric rodent began talking with the feisty lizard.

   The two Pokémon exchanged a few cries before Pikachu leaped off of the rock and regrouped with Ash and the others.
   "What's going on Pikachu," Ash inquired.
   Pikachu began to play a game of charades to convey what he was trying to say. He began by acting like he was tying a necktie, then, he began to move his arms like he was carrying something.
   "I don't get it," Misty said sadly.
   "What do you think Ash," Brock asked.
   "Could you repeat that buddy," Ash requested as he knelt down to face his friend.
   Pikachu let out a series of cries as he repeated the actions in quick succession. Ash nodded as Pikachu continued before he rose back to face Brock and Misty.
   "I'm not entirely sure about this," Ash began. "But Pikachu says that Charmander's waiting on the rock for his trainer."
   "What," Misty inquired. "Charmander's been here all by itself?"
   "Like I said, I'm not entirely sure," Ash answered.
   "Well, if it's waiting for someone, I think we should move on," Brock said. "It's better if its own trainer takes care of it."
   "But...Why would they just leave him here," Ash asked. "A good trainer wouldn't leave their Pokémon out in the wild like this. He needs to be treated at the Pokémon Center."
   "Ash," Brock said as he held Ash's shoulder. "It's up to his trainer. Come on, the Pokémon Center isn't too far from here."
   Brock and Misty started walking away. Ash and Charmander locked eyes, and Charmander's eyes softened. Trying to hold his tears back, Ash turned away and Pikachu followed. As they did, Charmander could feel the wind changing directions, it looked up and let out a soft whine so no one could hear.