Chapter 15 - Rumble at the Pokémon Tower

Lavender Town was usually a small melancholy locale, despite housing a burial ground for dead Pokémon. However, the spirits of the deceased were restless and angry. The same could be said for Proton, an executive member of Team Rocket. His mind was reflecting on his failure onboard the SS Anne. He was with several other members of the organization and staring down a boy with a red cap and a Pikachu. The memory made his blood boil as he entered the Pokémon Tower. Nothing was detouring him; not the sudden temperature change, not the sudden crashing of doors, not even the echoing of wailing. It took him about twenty minutes, but Proton had managed to reach the top of the tower.

   The room he entered was with several members of Team Rocket with whips. Sitting in front of the rocket members was an old man with bushy eyebrows, wavey silver hair, circle-framed glasses, a purple shirt, and a bracelet made of lavender flowers.
   "Any progress," Proton asked.
   "The good doctor is less than cooperative, sir," responded one of the grunts.
   "I told you, I'm not a scientist of yours anymore," said the old man.
   "Oh, come now Doctor Fuji," said Proton. "You of all people should know how to handle our little, situation. And the sooner you assist us, the sooner you can return to your family. What is your family like now? A wife? No, no, she passed from an illness. A daughter? Or a granddaughter?"
   Fuji grimaced and quickly began rising, but he was restrained by the other members. Proton's face looked cold; he knew exactly which buttons to push.
   "Now then, stop resisting, and cooperate," Proton said. "Or I shall burn your home and this pitiful town with everything and everyone inside it!"

   Doctor Fuji weakly hung his head as tears slowly began streaking down his face. The rocket members released him and was handed several items. Among them included a large candle,a small book, and incense sticks.
   Amber...I'm so sorry my dear, Fuji told himself.

*

   The sun was beginning to set as Ash, Misty, and Brock traveled. A somewhat thick fog slowly started to roll in on them.
   "Is anyone else getting Deja Vu," Misty asked.
   "I know I am," Ash spoke up. "But we can't stop now."
   Brock knew what Ash was thinking. The battle he had with Sabrina, and the encounter with the man who saved them took its toll on everyone. Ash just took the brunt of most of it. In the distance, the trio saw a tower reaching thirty stories high, past the cloud of fog.
   "Guys, I see it," Ash called out. "That's the Pokémon Tower!"
   "Hey you're right Ash," Brock said. "Maybe we can get to Lavender Town just in time to rest in the Pokémon Center."
   "I sure hope so," Misty added. "I really don't want a repeat of our last camping experience."
   Ash and his friends picked up the pace, wishing to find shelter.

   The group took ten minutes of running, but they managed to arrive in Lavender Town. Once they were in the town, their noses were struck with a rather pleasant aroma. Or, so Brock and Misty thought; Ash began coughing and his eyes started to water. Brock took note of this and helped Ash find a Pokémon Center. Fortunately, the town managed to have one. Once inside, the group was greeted by another Nurse Joy, but instead of the standard white uniform, it was black.
   "Good evening," she said. "Do your Pokémon need any healing?"
   "Um...S-Sure," Ash responded. "Really quick though. Are you...really, a Nurse Joy?"
   "Of course," responded the nurse with a warm smile. "Lavender Town, allows me to express my differences from my family. Anyway, I'll take care of your Pokémon now."
   Ash, Brock, and Misty handed their Pokémon over, and Ash was feeling antsy. All he could think about was his battle with Sabrina, the resulting aftermath, and the dream he had beforehand.

   Twenty minutes later, Nurse Joy came back with their Pokémon. Misty and Brock were first, and Ash took all of his Pokéballs back last.
   "Now for the Tower," Ash said.
   "Wait, don't go out there," Nurse Joy called out.
   Ash stopped a few feet from the entrance door before turning around to face the nurse.
   "W-Why not," Ash asked.
   "The spirits of the Pokémon Tower have been restless lately," Nurse Joy answered. "Some even began spilling into the streets at night. No one is allowed outside until they calm down. So please, for your own safety, just stay here for the night."
   Ash looked down in defeat and clenched his fists. Yet another complication to his journey. He and the others went to the living quarters of the Pokémon Center. Misty immediately went somewhere private to change, Brock excused himself to go make some Pokémon food for their travels, and Ash was alone with Pikachu.