Chapter 13 - Bye Bye Butterfree

Three days have passed since Ash and his friends arrived back on the mainland. They had set up camp in the forest with Misty resting her feet and cuddling with her Horsea as he was a baby compared to her other Pokémon. Brock was smiling as he was cooking a stew dish with carrots, broccoli, and some onions. Ash was training for his next gym battle, and Squirtle was motivated to grow stronger after his encounter with Gary. Bulbasaur and Squirtle were battling against each other with vines, leaf projectiles, jets of water, and rolling around. Pikachu and Charmander began fighting with tackles, scratches, and streams of fire and electricity. Butterfree and Pidgeotto were taking their fight into the air with tackles, spors, and wing attacks.
   "Okay guys, come on over," Ash called out.
   Instantly, the Pokémon came rushing toward Ash receiving some amount of affection.
   "You're looking good guys," Ash smiled. "Just, try not to overdue yourselves, okay? That goes double for you Squirtle."
   Ash ruffled Suqirtle's head as he let out a laugh.
   "Hey Ash, soup's on," Brock called out.
   "Come on guys," Ash said to his Pokémon.

   Ash and his Pokémon regrouped with the others as they were given their food.
   "This is pretty good Brock," Ash said with a wide smile. "What do you call this?"
   "It's my Lazy Boy No Chew Stew," Brock answered before he took a spoonful. "It's a favorite among my siblings."
   "Lucky kids," Ash joked before eating.
   "Anyway, how's everyone doing," Brock asked to change the subject.
   "Horsea's adjusting great," Misty smiled. "Staryu's been helping him out."
   "Ash," Brock asked. "How's your Pokémon doing?"
   "Everyone's been doing great," Ash responded. "But...I'm a little worried about Squirtle. He's pushing himself harder than before."
   "I can understand that," Brock said. "How about Butterfree?"
   "He's as happy as can be," Ash said. "And I think he might be getting stronger already."
   The group began telling stories, but Ash's was very slow and unstructured. But Butterfree landed on his head, making Ash feel better, and finding it sweet he would do that.

*

   The next day, Ash and the gang traveled out of the forest by ten in the morning and were traveling through a meadow. After about twenty minutes, they saw the meadow against a body of water. When they reached the grassy edge, Ash saw they were standing on a cliff.
   "Okay, not going this way," Ash said as he was shaking.
   Brock pulled out a map and began to look around to cross-reference with the map.
   "Ah, I see," Brock said. "There's a path over on that ridge. It'll lead us right to Saffron City."
   "Alright," Ash responded. "Let's just hope it holds."
   However, before they could leave, Misty noticed something in the sky.
   "Uh guys, are you seeing this too," she asked.
   Ash looked up to see a cliff in the distance with shimmers in the sky.
   "Is it that time already," Brock asked.
   "Brock, what're you talking about," inquired Ash.
   "It's the Butterfree mating season," Brock answered.
   "Mating..." Ash asked.
   "Yep, it's that time of year when Butterfree gather in one place and find their partners," Brock explained. "They'll then lay their legs across the sea."
   "Wait, does that mean..." Ash stuttered as he pulled out Butterfree's Pokéball. "Could my Butterfree go too?"
   "Well, if you do let him go, then there's a good chance you'll never see him again," Brock responded honestly and sadly.
   Ash's eyes widened and he looked at Butterfree's ball. He put a lot of care into raising Butterfree. The two were practically inseparable by this point.

*

   Along the way to the cliff, the group found a stand with people giving hot-air balloons. Thankfully, there was no charge, but they did have to set things up for themselves. Once the balloon was finished, Ash's stomach began to tie in knots. He remembered the toy Misty gave him before they boarded the S.S. Anne and pulled it out of his backpack. After a few squeezes, Ash's nerves settled, but the thought of Butterfree leaving still ate him from the back of his mind.
   "Good to see people helping trainers with Butterfree out here," Misty smiled.
   "We're definitely gonna see more balloons when we get up there," Brock smirked. "Alright guys, hold tight."
   Brock pulled a card that ignited a flame for the balloon to take to the sky. Ash was immediately taken by the view of the woods combined with the meadow and water. It was as if he was stepping out of a painting.
   "Nice view," he smiled.
   Brock and Misty shared in Ash's excitement, but Pikachu was letting out small cries to get their attention. The gang turned to see a flock of Butterfree flying alongside them. They followed the Butterfree where the Pokémon were pairing up.