Chapter 10 - Electric Showdown

Author's Note: This chapter will have inconsistent/illegal moves on certain Pokémon. Please, do not concern yourself with this, as the games and anime themselves have done this before. For example, Ash's Bayleef knows Vine Whip in the anime when the species can't learn it in the games. Or Lance's Dragonite knowing the move Barrier and Aerodactyl knowing Rock Slide in the Generation 1 and 2 games respectively. Please, do not make a fuss about this, as it's just a story for fun.
   Also, I have been suggested to add a list of Pokémon Ash caught, which will be added from now on. So, if you're having a hard time keeping track of the team, hopefully, this will help. Thank you for listening, and please enjoy.

   The day has finally arrived, Ash, Brock, Misty, and Pikachu were covered in dirt and on the verge of tears. Pikachu fell into his stomach, Ash fell to his knees, Misty giggled like a schoolgirl, and Brock just smirked. They were standing just outside the entrance of Vermillion City.
   "Finally," Misty called out. "I can't wait to get a nice bath."
   "I gotta find a laundromat," Brock said. "What about you Ash?"
   Just then, Ash's stomach growled heavily.
   "Finding a bite to eat," he said tiredly. "And getting everybody healed up."
   Ash carried Pikachu in his arms, who also had a growling stomach. With the group practically running on fumes, they walked right into the city and began searching for the Pokémon Center. It took them about ten minutes, but they found the Pokémon Center. The building was primarily a red and grey dome with orange trim and Pokéball decorations.

   Inside, the group was surprised to see a boy similar to the nurse in Pewter City.
   "S-Sorry for how Pikachu looks," Ash said nervously. "We haven't had any way to clean him for a few days now. And, I think he's starving."
   "Not to worry," the nurse said as he held Pikachu in his arms. "Nothing a little food, a bath, and maybe a check-up can't fix."
   "Wait...Haven't we met before," Brock called out.
   "Oh, yeah, I look like the other nurses, don't I," said the nurse. "Yeah, it's crazy family genetics. One of my cousins works over in Vermidian, and another's in Pewter. You're not the first trainers to get confused. And you won't be the last. I promise."
   "Nurse Joy," called a boy from behind the group. "It's Rattata, please, help him."
   "Of course we will," Nurse Joy said. "Chansey will help escort you guys to the infirmary."
   Chansey (the pink Pokémon Ash saw in Veridian City) came with a hospital bed where the boy put their Pokémon on it.
   "What happened to Rattata," Brock asked concerned. "How'd he get in such bad shape?"
   "Either the new Gym Leader must've let loose again, or tried to teach them a lesson," answered Nurse Joy. "Follow me and I'll explain along the way."

   Ash and his friends entered the room where a couple of trainers were watching their Pokémon in what looked like a coma. The sight made Ash twinge with fear; if this was what the gym leader could do, how was Ash going to stand a chance against them?
   "So, not too long ago, the city received a visit from the P.I.A.," explained Joy.
   "P, I, what," Ash asked.
   "The Pokémon Inspection Agency," Brock answered. "Think of them like health inspectors for restaurants. But they come to see if a gym is operating correctly. I had one a few months ago, glad I passed at least."
   "My gym wasn't so lucky because of my sisters," Misty said sadly.
   "That's right," Joy said as he was tending to the Pokémon. "Anyways, the inspection of the gym went horribly. The old leader made a spectacle of the agent's visit, claiming he didn't need them to tell him how to run the place. But in less than a week, the new leader was miles better than the last one. They have had moments where they slip, but, it makes my life a little easier. If you wanna challenge them, I won't stop you but...Just be careful."
   Ash crossed his arms and held his mouth a bit before he left with fear in his eyes. Misty followed with Brock bringing up the rear.

   They were all in the lobby and Ash was rethinking the Pokémon League idea. Misty sat next to him and was a bit concerned.
   "What's wrong Ash," she asked.
   "I don't think I can do this," he said with a shaky voice. "I-I-I mean, you saw those Pokémon. I don't want my friends getting mangled like a pretzel. And I don't have any gym badges. What hope do I have?"
   "Ash, that's what we call a self-fulfilling prophecy," Brock retorted. "If you keep thinking about the negative aspects, you're gonna fail. Besides, my Pokémon beat up yours pretty bad the first time we battled."
   "Uh...That's true," Ash said a little calmer as a catchy jingle came over the intercom.
   "Ash, your Pokémon are healed," called out Nurse Joy.
   Ash quickly came to see Pikachu eating a piece of fruit with the biggest smile on his face.
   "Hey Pikachu," Ash said as he petted Pikachu's head. "Feeling any better?"
   Pikachu gave what looked like a peace sign, but he saw Ash was nervous.
   "Well...The gym's got a new leader," Ash continued. "They're still pretty strong...Some are in the infirmary..."
   Just then, another trainer came in holding a Pidgey in his arms, but the tiny bird was still conscious. Pikachu looked to Ash, who was still nervous, and pulled his jacket. Ash saw Pikachu was looking psyched like he was ready to get going. Ash let out a smile and hugged Pikachu with a smile on his face.
   "Let's go, buddy," Ash said as he grabbed his Pokéballs and made his way out the front door.