Chapter 4 - Pewter Gym Rock Show

Ash, Pikachu, and Misty were walking along the pather that their friend, Kutora, had instructed them to follow. An hour and a half later, Ash saw that he and his friends were right on the edge of their next stop, Pewter City.
   "I never get tired of seeing a new town from afar," Ash smiled.
   "Looks like you have a bit more to learn about traveling young man," said a voice that sounded eerily close.
   "W-What that...Who said that" Ash panicked.
   "Down here," said the voice again.
   Ash looked down to see a tanned man with a shaggy beard, deep green pants, brown boots, a short-sleeved dark yellow shirt, and a red beanie.
   "Who're you," Ash asked.
   "My name is Flint," said the man. "And I meant what I said about traveling."
   "What do you mean," Ash asked intently.
   "Each town and city always has something unique about them," Flint explained. "For example, Pewter City. Not only does it have an official Pokémon League Gym, but it's also renowned for its stone art."
   "Wow, that's pretty cool," Ash said.
   "Any chance I can persuade you to buy a Pewter souvenir, young man," Flint asked politely as he took a black marker and tapped a large grey rock.
   "I would...but don't have any money," Ash said sadly.
   "That's fine," Flint said.
   "H-Hey Flint, can you give us directions to the city's Pokémon Center," Misty asked.
   "Of course," Flint responded. "It's the tall building with red stones. You can't miss it."

   Ash and Misty thanked Flint for his help and walked through the streets of Pewter City, taking in the sights. Along the way, Ash noticed that a lot of buildings had support pillars that were highly decorated. It was almost like touring through an ancient civilization. Eventually, after a few minutes, they discovered a building with two sets of stone steps, bordered by large trees, and a logo that resembled a Pokéball on top of a massive red stone slab. Once they reached the hospital, Ash quickened his pace and went through the automatic doors. At the front desk stood a man who reminded him of Nurse Joy from Veridian City. The man had the same hair color, the same eye color, and even their uniforms were the same color. But there were a few differences. There was no apron covering his chest and there was a long braid reaching his shoulder.
   "E-E-Excuse me," Ash said as he pulled out his Pokéballs. "Could you heal my Pokémon please?"
   "Oh, you must be Ash. Not a problem," said the man at the desk.
   "W-Wait how do you know my name," Ash asked confusedly.
   "The Nurse Joy of Veridian City," he answered. "She's my little sis."
   "So...you're called Nurse Joy too," asked the confused 10-year-old.
   "Sure am," ansered Joy. "I'll be back with your Pokémon soon. In the meantime, take some time to relax."
   Ash sighed when Nurse Joy left and walked to the waiting area. But as he walked away, he noticed a poster. It was of a Pokéball a storm of leaves, a stream of water, a wave of water, and a slogan at the bottom saying: Today's Winners are Tomorrow's Masters!
   A league poster, Ash told himself. Maybe I should enter? Sounds like a lot of fun.
   "You think about entering," Misty asked.
   "Maybe," Ash answered.
   "Well it's not going to be a walk in the park," Misty added. "If you want to enter, you'll need to beat 8 gym leaders from different towns and cities as proof of entry. Gym trainers are in a whole other ballpark compared to regular trainers. Still think you're up for it?"
   "I'll never know unless I try," Ash retorted.
   At least that's what mom taught me, he said to himself.
   "Well lookie here," said a familiar voice. It was Flint.
   "Oh, hey Flint," Ash said. "Fancy meeting you two here. So very sorry for eavesdropping, but are you going to challenge Pewter City's Gym Leader, Brock?"
   "If that's his name, then yes," Ash answered. "As soon as my Pokémon are better."
   "Well...best of luck kid," Flint said sadly. "You'll see that Brock isn't so easy to beat."

   Flint took his leave, and Ash hung his head nervously. Misty caught onto this and escorted him to a restaurant, where she gladly paid the bill. Ash thanked Misty and offered to repay her one day, as soon as he could think of how. Misty brushed it off and said that he could not pay anyway.
   "So, do you honestly think you can win," asked Misty.
   "Like I said, I'll never know unless I try," Ash said as he ate some rice.
   "Yeah, I know," Misty replied. "It's just...You haven't been a trainer long and...Well, I don't want to discourage you."
   "I'll figure something out," Ash said as he put his rice bowl down.