Chapter 11 - Rocket Strike on the S.S. Anne

Ash and his friends were still in Vermillion City, wanting to take in the sights before moving on to Ash's to the next Pokémon Gym. The previous day, Ash had challenged the new gym leader, Vasquez, and won his first legitimate badge, the Thunder Badge. He held the badge to the sun and admired how it glistened like a precious crystal.
   "Thanks for helping me train Brock," Ash said. "I'd never have won without your advice."
   "I wasn't the one who carried it out," Brock smiled. "I'm proud that you earned it Ash."
   "So, when will you be back to face us," Misty asked with a cheeky grin. "We still have badges waiting for you."
   "When I'm good and ready," Ash smiled. "I'm not a tiny timetable or anything like that."
   "Well, technically, the Indigo Conference isn't for a few more months away," Brock said as he pulled out a book and flipped to the right page. "And with the rate we've been going, you'll qualify for it in no time."
   "Alright," Ash announced. "Now...I better figure out a place to put this..."
   Ash thought for a moment before Pikachu leaped on Ash's left shoulder and patter it. At that moment, Ash got what Pikachu was trying to say. He opened the left side of his coat and pinned the Thunder Badge into it.
   "Perfect," Ash smiled. "Thanks, buddy."

   A moment later, Ash noticed they were in Vermillion Cities harbor, filled with cruise liners and sailors scurrying around the location. Misty and Brock noticed the ships a second later, and the entire group was awestruck.
   "I'd love to sail the ocean on a ship like that," Ash said.
   "Think about all the new kinds of Pokémon we can find," Brock added.
   "More than that," Misty said eagerly. "Just a nice long, relaxing cruise, sunbathing on the deck all day."
   "Well, we can't afford it, Misty," Ash said bluntly.
   Misty's attitude changed abruptly as the crew began sulking. They began walking away from the ship, disappointed in their luck, but maybe there were other sights to take in before moving on. But just as they were a few feet away from the spot they admired a ship, three small party explosions jolted them and Ash held his ears a bit. The ones who popped them were girls; one blond with green eyes, and the other had orange hair with blue eyes; both of whom were wearing a uniform.
   "Congratulations," announced the two girls. "It's your lucky day! You three have won the chance to board a super deluxe sea cruise!"
   Ash was wincing as Pikachu nuzzled up to him to alleviate some distress.
   "Sea cruise," asked Brock and Misty.
   "Not just any sea cruise," corrected the orange-haired girl.
   "It's the biggest party ever, aboard the S.S. Anne," finished the blond girl.
   "Wait...I...I think I heard of that," Ash said as he had finally come back from sensory overload.
   "But isn't that reserved for famous people?"
   "Normally," answered the orange-haired girl. "But this party is for Pokémon trainers only!"
   "Right this way," said the blond girl as she signaled where to go.
   "We appreciate the offer, but we don't have the money for this," Brock said.
   "Aw, sweetie, these are 100 percent free," said the orange-haired girl.
   "What," Ash said in disbelief. "Why would you be giving away free tickets? That doesn't make any sense?"
   "Well, to tell you the truth, we wanted to hang out with our dates, but work got in the way," answered the blond girl. "We were told to give them to random Pokémon trainers that came by, and you fit the bill."
   "Well...I guess so," Ash said as he took the ticket. "Thank you for the ticket."
   "You're welcome," the girls shouted as they ran off.

   As the two ran away, Ash winced in pain from their final words. Pikachu began nuzzling Ash again, and Misty was reaching into her backpack for a specific item.
   "Why are they so loud..." Ash grimaced.
   "I don't know, Ash," Misty said as she pulled out what looked like a small toy. "Here, this should help a bit. I got it from the Pokémart here."
   The toy was an amorphous blob with little nubs that extended when pressed. Ash began squeezing it which made him feel a little calmer.
   "Thanks, Misty," Ash said. "But...Something doesn't feel right."
   "What do you mean Ash," Brock inquired.
   "I don't know," Ash said. "Two girls just so happened to show up out of nowhere and give us free entry into a cruise ship you'd need to sacrifice an arm and a leg to get in? It doesn't make any sense to me..."
   "Well, maybe you're overthinking," Misty said.
   "That's a fair point to make," Brock agreed. "Oh, by the way, Ash, I got a question for you."
   "Uh...sure, fire away Brock," Ash answered.
   "Were you ever taken to a special doctor when you were younger," Brock asked. "Anywhere around the age of two?"
   Ash pondered as he tried to remember anything that Brock mentioned.
   "Oh, yeah, I did," Ash said as he gently pounded his fist into his hand. "I was a little over two at the time. Maybe a month or two? Anyway, both of my parents took me to a doctor in Veridian City because I was...Doing...Something...I-I don't remember what, the doctor said something called... It started with an A. I was too young to remember, and Mom didn't talk about it for a long time."
   "Autism," Brock answered.
   "Y-Yeah, yeah that's it," Ash answered. "But...Why'd you wanna know?"
   "I think it's to prove a point," Misty smiled proudly. "You're looking a bit too deep into it. We get to actually go on the cruise."
   Sometimes I wonder if you realize you're more like your sisters than you think Misty, Ash told himself.