Chapter 17 - Mankey Business

It had been two days since Ash had battled Sabrina, earning his second badge. However, after the battle, Ash began experiencing strange visions in his sleep. This took a toll on him with difficulties falling asleep and physical and mental exhaustion. Misty and Brock had noticed Ash's physical state, but they had no idea what was happening. While traveling through Route 7 to reach Celadon City, Brock began double-checking his map.
   "Okay, there's a rest stop up ahead guy," he called out. "We can stop for lunch and give our Pokémon time to stretch their legs."
   "Sounds good to me," Misty smirked. "My legs have been killing me."
   "Yeah, my head's getting pretty bad," Ash added. "S-Sorry to bother you about it."
   "It's not a problem Ash," Brock responded in hopes of making Ash feel better. "We're your friends, remember? It's what we do."
   Ash smiled softly at Brock's words. While not terribly older than him, Brock sounded like the role model Ash needed for a long time.

   After three hours of hiking, Ash and his friends finally arrived at the rest stop. The stop had restrooms, water fountains, picnic tables, and perhaps the oddest edition, a phone booth. Ash and his friends released their Pokémon to stretch their limbs.
   "Hey, guys, I uh...I gotta make a couple of calls," Ash said.
   "By all means," Brock said. "That's what this place is here for."
   "Just don't take forever," Misty said jokingly.
   Ash took a breath and made his way to the phone; his heart felt heavy as he did. With each step, it felt like the phone was moving away from him. After a four-minute walk, Ash finally realized he was in front of the phone. Taking another breath, Ash took the phone from the receiver and began dialing a phone number. After a few seconds of ringing, the other end of the phone was picked up and a video screen came to life. It was Ash's mother Delia.
   "Hello, this is the Ketchum residence," she said.
   "H-Hi Mom," Ash said somewhat weakly.
   "Oh hi Ash, how's your journey going," she asked a voice as sweet as honey.
   "I-I-I'm...not so good," Ash said in a depressed voice. "I-I had some...thoughts and..."
   "Ash," Delia said. "It's no good keeping those thoughts or feelings bottled up. We've talked about this a million times. So, talk to me."
   "Okay..." Ash said as he hung his head and tried to hold back a river of tears. "I-I won my second gym badge a couple of days ago. But...during the match, I-I don't know how to say it but I... Heard you saying I was a...disappointment..."
   "Ash, Ash, listen to me," Delia said. "You were never, I repeat, NEVER, a disappointment. Do you understand me?"
   "B-B-But Mom, what all those times," Ash tried to retort.
   "No buts young man," Delia snapped. "You're my son, my pride and joy."
   "What about Dad," Ash said suddenly. "He's not around anymore. He must've thought I was..."
   "Ash Ketchum, don't you dare," Delia snapped again. "Your father loves you with all of his heart. I don't know where or why he left, but he couldn't stop smiling the day you were born. Remember he gave you your cap? You refused to be separated from that thing ever since he left. So, Ash, you're not a disappointment. You're my son. Understood?"
   "Yes," Ash said with a sad smile. "Thanks, Mom. I love you."
   "I love you too sweetheart," Delia smiled back. "Be safe out there. Bubye."

   The line hung up and Ash felt some relief in his heart but his head was still splitting as he held his cap. Fighting through the pain, Ash dialed another number into the phone. Another few seconds of ringing occurred and the phone was picked up. This time it was Professor Oak.
   "Hello," he said in a curious tone.
   "Hi Professor, it's Ash," the boy responded.
   "Oh, Ash, I was wondering when you'd give me a call," Oak asked excitedly. "How are things? Do you have some good news?"
   "Not...Not too good..." Ash responded. "I uh...During my last gym match, I was...I thought I was a disappointment of a trainer in your eyes..."
   "What, heavens no," Oak said somewhat insultedly. "Every trainer does things their own way. Nothing about training has a strict set of rules. Believe me, Ash, you need to trust your gut. Don't let what other people or your negative thoughts tell you any different."
   "Th-Thanks Professor," Ash said.
   "Oh, while I have you, how're your travelings going," Oak asked. "If you're going to participate in the Indigo Conference, how many badges do you have now?"
   "Well...I-I only have...two, now," Ash hesitated.
   "Just two," Oaked inquired. "That's not bad."
   "I-I would've had 4 but..." Ash explained. "I-It would've been through foul means. It wouldn't have meant anything."
   "I see," Oak smirked. "Many trainers would've taken it regardless. You've shown a higher edict than most trainers. Though, if I could make a suggestion?"
   "Sure," Ash insisted.
   "Try to catch more Pokémon," Oak explained. "You see, Gary already has 30 Pokémon. And I haven't gotten any from you yet."
   "What do you mean," asked Ash.
   "You see, Ash, a trainer can only have up to 6 Pokémon at a time," Oak explained. "When you catch a Pokémon when you have 6 on hand, the ball containing the Pokémon will be brought back to me."
   "Um...Okay but...H-How does this..." Ash tried to ask.
   "Oh, sorry, let me make a comparison," Oak chuckled nervously. "You see, I like writing poetry in my free time. But every poem has to have a rhyme. No rhymes, no poem. And no Pokémon means..."
   "I'm not a great trainer," Ash finished. "I get it, Professor."
   "I'm sorry Ash," Oak said sadly. "It was only a suggestion, you don't have to use it."
   "I-I'll get over it," Ash said. "Thanks for the kind words. I better get going. I'll talk soon."