Chapter 16 - The Haunting Rematch! Kadabra vs. Haunter

Midday, Ash and his friends were halfway back to Saffron City. The woods reminded them of their technical first encounter with Saffron's gym leader, Sabrina. Everyone's Pokémon were out and about, training or trying to play. Ash watched the sun in the distance almost as if in a trance.
   "Ash," Misty called. "Ash? Hey, snap out of it!"
   Ash fliched, staggered, and fumbled over to see Misty, Brock, and Pikachu.
   "W-What's up," Ash asked.
   "You've been zoned out for a while now," Brock answered. "What's going on?"
   "It's Sabrina..." Ash answered as he hunched over. "Every time I close my eyes, she's there. She's taunting me..."
   "And you think just by winning her gym, she'll stop," Misty asked in concern.
   "I don't know," Ash admitted. "But I can hope, can't I?"
   Brock took a sigh as he sat down with Ash.
   "Ash, I know you're relying on Haunter to handle Sabrina," began Brock. "But remember my advice from Vermillion."
   "Don't put everything in one basket," Ash said abruptly. "I know Brock. But you saw just how powerful Sabria is. Pikachu was nearly killed in that fight. Imagine what she'd do to the others if given the chance."

   Brock took a sigh as Haunter came up to Brock's face. A moment of silence passed before Haunter suddenly made a loud noise and an exaggerated face. Brock fell back and screamed off his seat. Haunter began laughing as hard as he could, finding the joke funny.
   "H-Haunter, Brock" Ash called out.
   "I think my heart just stopped," Brock said weakly.
   "Don't blame Haunter for that," Misty said as she petted the ghost Pokémon. "He's just having some fun."
   Haunter then nuzzled into Misty's face with its signature wide grin before licking her face. Instantly she was paralyzed her body.
   "H-Haunter," Ash called out. "Hey buddy, I know you wanna have fun, but I really need you to be serious. Please?"
   Haunter saw sadness and quickly touched Ash to make him look at the ghost-type. Ash petted the Haunter's head and gave a soft yet sad smile.
   "Hey guys," Ash said to his Pokémon. "I need to get a feel for Haunter's moves. Does anyone want to help?"
   Ash's Pokémon took a step backward, obviously showing they were not particularly fond of the new member of their little team.
   "G-Guys..." Ash called out. "Please? He's our best chance at beating Sabrina."
   Pikachu looked at Ash, then to the rest of the Pokémon, and back to Ash. The electric rodent stepped forward and let out a cry to signify he was willing to do it.

   Ash smiled and thanked his partner and set the two Pokémon for some training. Haunter floated with its detached hands slowly opening and closing every few seconds while Pikachu stood on all fours with a slightly hunched back.
   "Pikachu, Thunder Shock," Ashordered to the electric type. "Haunter, dodge."
   Pikachu unleashed a surge of electricity from its cheeks and Haunter evaded the attack, moving like a feather in the wind. Haunter retaliated by turning invisible, rematerializing behind Pikachu, and attacking Pikachu with strange energy beams coming from its eyes.
   "What the..." Ash said softly as he pulled out his Pokédex.
   "Night Shade, a ghost-type attack," said the computer voice. "The strength of this move varies in the strength of the strength of the user."
   "Interesting," Ash said in contemplation. "Looks like we'll have a lot of work to do to make this one count."
   Haunter was right in front of Ash when the boy looked up. Ash was jumped slightly, but he let out a chuckle. Pikachu lept onto Ash's shoulder to meet Haunter. After a minute, the rest of Ash Pokémon came to meet Haunter and began interacting with the ghost Pokémon.

*

   Two days later, Ash and his friends were back in Saffron City. The group was in the Pokéon Center resting for the night. Ash sat in his bed, unable to sleep out of fear that Sabrina would play with his dreams.
   I have to beat her, Ash said to hype himself up. I will beat her. I'm coming for you, Sabrina.
   For half the night, Ash did manage to sleep, but by all accounts, was not much. Once the group was ready, they made their way to the gym. Once outside the building, Ash was struck with a painful headache. Misty and Brock held Ash up as the pain subsided after a couple of minutes.
   "Ash, if that's not a sign to leave, what more proof do you want," pleaded Brock.
   "Why are you even risking your life for a dumb badge," Misty added.
   "...I'm scared..." Ash said with conflicting emotions. "And when I was little, my Mom said that sometimes to face fears, you have to tackle them head-on."
   Pikachu tugged at Ash's leg with slight tears forming in his eyes. Ash looked down at Piakchu and had a strong feeling about what the Pokémon was thinking. He knelt to meet the electric rat.
   "I'm sorry buddy," Ash said as he gently patted Pikachu's head. "You stay out here with the others. Okay?"