10.

- Friday -

- Friday -

Amelia sat in the booth of Doc's Drugstore and stared into the bottle of pills that sat in front of her. She sighed in worry, biting her lips. Her elbow pressed against the table as she rest her head in the palm of her hand.

Tony was sweeping the floor. Valentina was standing on a ladder, arranging the medications on the shelves. The two witnessed the girl's behaviour and exchanged glances, wondering what was on her mind. Amelia's lips suddenly curved into a smile and her cheeks blushed. Tony put on a confused look while Valentina rolled her eyes.

She waved at Tony and whispered in his ear, "She's in love."

Tony scrunched his face and looked at the girl who was grinning from ear to ear. He leaned to Valentina, "With who?"

She shrugged her shoulders and turned away from Tony. Valentina sighed lightly, truly knowing who Amelia was thinking of. Tony walked over to Amelia and sat opposite her.

"Hey," Tony greeted. "You seem happy today."

Amelia laughed, "The week has been good to me. I've never felt better."

"What? You fell and hurt yourself, and suddenly everything falls into place?" Tony chuckled. "What's in there?"

Tony pointed at his temple, referring to hers. She shook her head and cupped her cheeks.

"Oh, come on. I wanna be happy like you. Share your secret," Tony whined.

Amelia groaned and rolled her eyes, "Oh shut it. My happiness is temporary. Let me enjoy it while it lasts."

"Who is it?" Tony asked. "There's someone that's making you happy. I can see it."

"No one's making me happy. Maybe I'm just happy that I've finally reunited with my best friend and his family."

  Valentina paused and turned to face Amelia, "¿Quién? (Who?) Bernardo?".

  "Yes. I met him a few days ago and I met his family yesterday. They were lovely," she smiled.

  "Wait, you know Bernardo? The leader of the Sharks?" Tony asked.

  Her smile dropped, upon realising who Tony was. Her mouth gaped open as she looked for words to say.

  "He's your best friend?" Tony asked in disbelief and laughed afterwards. "I didn't think he would let an American girl be his best friend or even near to him. Unless..."

  Valentina and Amelia exchanged panic looks. Tony came to a realisation as a light bulb sparked in his eyes. His eyes widened and Amelia raised to defend herself.

  "Unless you're Puerto Rican," he said. "Don't tell me you're Puerto Rican."

  "N-No. I'm not."

  "The man barely speaks good English and he doesn't even blink an eye at any white women in this city. Don't lie to me."