23.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay? You haven't been here in a while

  "Are you sure you're going to be okay? You haven't been here in a while."

  "I am. Besides, I'm going to be in the diner. You're the one who's gonna be walkin' everywhere, Riff."

  "Can't I just wait for you till you're done?"

  "No. You're gonna be takin' up spaces and I can't be caught with you, Riff. The Jets will freak and the Sharks don't even get me star—"

  "Hey hey, you don't gotta worry about that. I ain't lettin' the same shit happen to you. They gonna have to pass through me...which is also why I should be here with you."

  She rolled her eyes and removed her arm from his. He pulled it back into his and looked at her.

  "You don't gotta be scared, baby. I'm here."

She sighed as they come to a stop. They stood next to the steps of the diner. She moved to turn as she looked up at the man.

"Will you be okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

She frowned, tilting her head. The man smiled and caressed her cheek, pinching a little.

"I will be okay."

"The Jets haven't seen you lately. Are you tellin' them about us?"

He nodded.

"What if they don't accept it? What if they go against you?"

"They're my boys. You're my girl and I think you know them well enough to know what they gon' choose," he assured. "Now, go in before I drag you back home with me."

He planted a kiss on her forehead before finishing it off with a kiss on the lips and a tight hug. They whispered the three words to each other before she pulled away from him. He watched as she waved heartily, walking up the steps and into the diner.

  Riff slipped his hands into his pockets and pulled out his cigarette and lighter. He lit one stick, pressing the edge between his lips before walking away.

  He needed to talk with the boys. He knew that the Jets would be suspicious of him. Why he disappeared for days without telling any of them.

  He walked down the street when Balkan and Mouthpiece appeared from the corner. They spotted him and were delighted to finally see him after nearly a week of not seeing their leader. They rushed over to the man and hugged him.

  Riff grinned with the cigarette on his lips, returning their hugs.

  "Where you been, Riff? We've been worried bout' ya," Balkan said.

  "Yeah, we were scared that you'd do somethin' stupid," Mouthpiece added.

  "Me? I ain't dumb. I needed to take care of a few things."