24.

It's the day

  It's the day. The time has come.

  Riff cupped his forehead, sitting shirtless on the edge of her bed. Amelia hugged the blanket tightly in her sleep, or so Riff thought she was asleep.

  They had fought before the night came. Mouthpiece had slipped it out once again after Diesel, Balkan and Riff's hard work to convince her that the rumble was no longer happening.

  "The rumble ain't happening!"

  "Yeah, right! You're still lyin' to me? Mouthpiece said you were gonna postpone the rumble."

  "We...gotta go," Diesel spoke up.

  Although they were afraid of the petite girl, each one of them back-hugged her before leaving the apartment. Silence filled the room with Amelia looking away from Riff.

  "Look, I tried to stop him."

  "You didn't try hard enough! Riff, you promised me that the rumble ain't happening. You promised that you and the Jets are gonna be safe!" She exclaimed.

  "We are gonna be safe! I just need more time, Am."

  "It's happening tomorrow night. You should've stopped it today."

  "It ain't easy, alright?"

  "You're their leader, aren't you? Shouldn't you be able to stop them? Stop Ice?"

  "They would've still seen me as their leader if it isn't because of you," he snapped.

  She scoffed, "Because of me? You don't want to do this, Riff because last time I checked? I was thrown on the ground. I was slammed into the wall. I was spat on. I hid away from all of you. Yet you came running back to my door, begging for forgiveness. I sacrificed everything for you, Riff and I'm only asking for one thing and it's to stop this rumble." Amelia clenched her jaw and clicked her tongue, "Yes. It's my fault that all of these happened and why it's difficult to stop the rumble. You can blame me for that but you can't blame me for making you run back to me when I didn't even ask you to even when I wanted you. But you chose this."

  Amelia sighed, "Look if you're startin' to regret coming back here, you can go—"

  Riff cut the girl off and took her hand, "No, baby. What are you sayin'? I ain't never regretting coming back to you. Not one bit."

Riff sighed, "Am, I'm sorry for saying those things to you. You know I don't mean it."

"Then please stop this, Riff. You can't come back to me and go on with the rumble. What if I lose you, Riff? Baby John? Balkan? Big deal? What if I lose them? What if I lose Bernardo, Riff? What will happen to Maria or-or Anita?"