15.

"Hey, Valentina!" Amelia greeted as she entered Doc's Drugstore

In front of the counter, Valentina was polishing an angel decoration gifted by her husband. Valentina smiled and greeted the young girl with a hug. When the old woman pulled away, she noticed the wound on her lips.

The expression on her face dropped as her eyes widened. Her hands clutched Amelia's shoulders and she stammered in worry until Amelia intervened.

"Cálmate, Val. No era Riff. (It wasn't Riff.) Un hombre nos estaba acosando y me dio una bofetada. Afortunadamente, Riff estaba allí para salvarnos. (A man was harassing us and he slapped me. Fortunately, Riff was there to save us.)"

Valentina sighed in relief, "Gracias a dios estas a salvo. (Thank god you are safe.)"

Amelia requested a few pills for pain relief from Valentina and she rushed to get them. She popped a few pills in her mouth and drank the water Valentina had gotten her.

"Aparte de eso, ¿cómo has estado? (Other than that, how have you been?) ¿Cómo te han tratado los Jets? (How have the Jets treated you?)"

  "I've been good. The Jets have been great. Riff has been an absolute angel but of course, you'd disagree with that," Amelia sheepishly smiled. Valentina opened her mouth but Amelia cut her to it. "I know you're worried about how they might treat me if they find out. Tony has been nagging me about it and you shouldn't waste your breath nagging me. I told him I'll take the risk. I mean, Valentina, I've got nothing to lose. I don't have a mother. My father's dead too. I don't have anything to lose."

  "Ay Amelia. No digas eso. Nos tienes a todos. (Don't say that. You have us all.) My husband passed on and I still have something to lose," she sighed. "Tu lo amas. (You love him.)"

  Amelia nodded, "I do. With all my heart. He takes care of me so well. My heart can't help it and I don't have an obligation to it."

  "Then you change his mind. This isn't something which I support with my heart but if he loves you, you can make him better."

  Amelia sighed, "I'm not sure about that. I may love him but I'm not certain he feels it more than I do."

  The bell of her front entrance jingled, revealing Riff and Tony. Riff's eyes landed on Amelia who sat on the chair by the counter. A wide smile grew across his face as excitement lit up the room. The same smile spread across Amelia's face when she turned her gaze to Riff.

  "Hey babygirl," Riff grinned as he walked up to her. "I've missed you."

  His hands crept up from his sides to her waist. He pecked her neck and kissed her lips. They met each other's eyes and smiled wider. Riff kissed her forehead and hugged the girl. Amelia's eyes glanced at Valentina who nodded.

  "Okay, that's enough. Public display of affection makes me uncomfortable," Tony groaned.

  Riff pulled away from the hug and kept his arms around her back. He glanced over his shoulder and looked at Tony.