Chapter 3

Miles POV

Who was that girl, and why did she look so fucking familiar? Why the fuck did she look like Max and me?

Well, whatever the reason, we couldn’t be associated with her. It would kill our social lives. The girl was poor and pathetic. I couldn’t let her ruin our reputation.

“I heard that there is a new girl at school who looks like you.” Zack said as he sat down opposite Max and me.

“She doesn’t look like us.” I said, clenching my fists.

“Where is she anyway?” Zack asked, looking around the cafeteria.

“She is not here.” I said, stabbing my food aggressively. “She is probably too poor to afford food.”

“Jesus, Milo, calm down.” Zack sighed. “Why do you already hate her so much?”

“I don’t hate her.” I said, looking up at Zack.

He rolled his eyes at me and looked at my brother.

“Max?” Zack called my brother’s name. “Why does Milo hate the new girl?”

Max raised his head and furrowed his eyebrows.

“What?” Max asked, making Zack roll his eyes again.

“What is up with you two?” Zack asked, looking from Max to me. “Get your heads out of your asses. She is no one. It’s a coincidence that she looks like you.”

“It better be.” Max mumbled. “I don’t want people to associate her with us.”

I was so fucking glad that he and I had the same opinion on her. We didn’t really get a chance to talk about her yet. Not that I wanted to talk about her. There was nothing to talk about. She was nothing. She was fucking no one.

“Where the fuck is Blake?” I asked Zack.

“He slept in.” Zack said. “He’s not coming today.”

“And where were you this morning?” Max asked Zack.

“I slept in too.” Zack sighed. “I didn’t want to come today, but my dad threw me out of the house.”

Zack rolled his eyes. Max and I chuckled.

Zack’s dad was great. Every dad out there was great compared to mine. But Zack’s dad really was a great father. He was kind, loving, and understanding, and he knew how to deal with Zack and his tantrums. Zack knew his dad’s limits. He did try to push them, but his dad would always let him know if he took it too far.

When I was a little bit younger, I wanted a dad like Zack’s.

My mother and father were never there for Max and I. They were never there when we were sick. They were never there to help us with school stuff. They were never there in happy times, and they were never there in sad times. They weren’t here when Max and I had some sort of a breakdown. I didn't remember much of it, but I remember being terrified whenever Max and I were separated. I did remember the feeling of emptiness inside me. It was still there, but I learned to live with it. It increased when I wouldn’t see Max for a couple of hours, but it would decrease as soon as Max came back. It never disappeared completely. I always felt empty, but I didn’t know why.

“Hey, Maddox.” I heard the voice I hated.

Amy Jenkins. The biggest slut in school. Max said that she was a good fuck, but she couldn’t understand that he wasn’t interested in dating her. It was just sex for Max, and he tried to explain that to her, but she didn’t listen.

She ran her hands up and down Max’s biceps and sat down on his lap.

“What do you want, Amy?” Max sighed.

Zack and I rolled our eyes. We both hated Amy. Blake hated Amy. She was a bitch.

“Did you see the poor new girl?” Amy asked, leaning in and placing a kiss on Max’s jaw. “Everybody is saying that she looks like you. I don’t see it, really. The little charity case is ugly.”

Everybody was saying that she looked like us? Fuck!

I looked at Max and saw fury in his eyes. I saw his jaw clench. He didn’t like it. I didn’t like it. We would have to do something about that poor little thing.

“Do you know her?” Amy asked when none of us spoke.

“No.” Max said angrily. “I don’t know who that bitch is.”

“Oh, good.” Amy smiled. “I wouldn’t want you to be associated with her. Did you see her clothes and her shoes? I’ve never seen someone so poor.”

Amy laughed, shaking her head.

I looked at Zack. He was staring at Amy with a pissed off look on his face. What was his problem? I knew that he didn’t like her, but why did he look so angry?

“Come on.” Max said coldly as he moved Amy from his lap and stood up.

He took her hand in his and started to pull her out of the cafeteria. Amy grinned and fixed her boobs.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. I didn’t understand Max really. Was the sex with Amy really worth all the trouble later? She was an annoying bitch.

“Are you done eating?” Zack asked me, making me look away from my brother and Amy.

“Yes.” I said as I picked up my tray and stood up.

Zack followed me as I put the tray back, and we walked out of the cafeteria together.

I felt the rage inside of me grow. I didn’t want to see the new girl again.

“Max will be late for class.” Zack said as we entered the classroom.

“I don’t think he cares.” I mumbled as my eyes fell on the new girl.

What did she say her name was? I wasn’t really listening.

I clenched my fists and tightened my jaw.

I walked to her desk with one thing on my mind. I would show everyone that she was nothing and no one.

“What are you doing?” Zack asked me quietly.

I ignored him and sat down on top of her table. She looked up, and Zack gasped.

My heart stopped beating.

She had our eyes. She had our fucking eyes! She had our fucking face!

I could see that she was as stunned as I was.

I pulled myself together and smirked.

“Hello, poor little thing.” I said coldly.

The pain that flashed in her eyes pierced my heart like a fucking knife. Why?!

“Milo, don’t.” Zack said quietly, but I ignored him.

“I didn’t see you at lunch.” I said mockingly. “Can’t afford food?”

Her eyes widened a little, and she looked down at her desk. Her hair covered her face.

“Milo, stop.” Zack said a little bit louder.

“Stop what?” I heard Max’s voice behind me.

“Oh, I was just talking to the new girl.” I said, turning around to look at my brother.

Max walked to me and looked at the poor little thing in front of us.

“Look up.” Max said coldly.

She listened to him and looked up. She was stunned when she saw Max. She glanced at me, and I saw tears in her eyes. My stomach turned.

Max clenched his fists and tightened his jaw. He placed one of his hands on the back of her chair and the other on the desk in front of her, caging her in. He leaned toward her, and I saw his hands shake.

Seeing them so close made my heart race. They looked so fucking similar. They looked like siblings.

What the fuck?!

“From now on, you will walk around with your head bent down.” Max said coldly, but I could hear a slight tremble in his voice. “I don’t want to see your poor, ugly face walking around. Am I clear?”

She nodded.

“Words, Madeline.” Max said.

Madeline. That was her name.

Madeline.

“I understand.” she said quietly.

Her voice made me shiver.

Max stood back up and walked to his desk.

I forced myself to smirk at her and watched as he lowered her head. I could see a tear fall on her cheek. My heart clenched painfully. Seeing her cry hurt me. Why did it fucking hurt me?!

I clenched my fists and stood up.

I didn’t fucking care.

She was nothing. She was no one.