Chapter 39

Ryan POV

I woke up to a frantic Max shaking my shoulder.

I furrowed my eyebrows and closed my eyes again.

"What?" I mumbled.

"Why do you have Maddie?!" Max whisper-yelled.

I opened my eyes and looked down at my baby sister. She was sound asleep on my chest.

I smiled and looked up at Max.

"I will explain later." I said quietly. "She is okay."

Max ran his fingers through his hair and let out a relieved breath.

"I thought that they took her." he mumbled. "Milo isn’t awake yet. He will freak out if he sees an empty bed."

I kissed the top of her head gently and moved her from my chest. She stirred a little, but she didn’t wake up.

She was exhausted.

I stood up and walked out of my room. Max was behind me. I closed my bedroom door gently. Addie needed sleep.

"What happened?" Max asked worriedly.

"She got up to drink, but she broke a glass." I said. "Zack heard it and cleaned it up. She got scared that we would punish her. I told her that we would never hurt her. She fell asleep in my arms, so I brought her back to my room. I didn’t want to wake you up."

Max sighed and shook his head.

"I want to kill them all, Ryan." he mumbled. "I want to strangle them and watch the life leave their bodies."

I tightened my jaw and nodded.

"I know, Max." I mumbled. "I want to do the same."

Max looked toward my bedroom and took a deep breath.

"I am going to go wake Milo up." Max mumbled. "He will freak the fuck out if he wakes up without her."

I nodded and watched him walk away toward their bedroom.

The door to my right opened, and Sam walked out of his room.

"What’s going on?" he mumbled sleepily.

I sighed and walked toward the stairs.

"Coffee?" I asked him.

He didn’t respond, but I could hear him walking behind me.

"Are the triplets still sleeping?" Sam asked.

"Maddie is." I answered. "Max went to wake Milo up."

I saw Zack sitting on the couch as I walked down the rest of the stairs. He looked at us as soon as he heard us approaching.

"How is Maddie?" he asked as he jumped up.

His eyes were wide, and he was focused on me.

"Maddie?" Sam asked worriedly. "Did something happen?"

"She got up to drink, but she broke a glass." I repeated the same thing I told Max. "Zack heard it and cleaned it up. She got scared that we would punish her. I told her that we would never hurt her."

"Fuck." Sam mumbled as he glanced back up.

"She is asleep." I said. "Don’t wake her up. She is tired."

"I won’t." Sam mumbled and looked back at me. "Is she okay?"

"She is." I nodded. "I managed to calm her down. She fell asleep in my arms, and I brought her back to my room."