Chapter 50

Madeline POV

Six months later

A knock on the door made me lift my head.

"Come in." I said as I looked back down at my shoes.

The door opened, and someone stepped inside my room.

"Are you ready, May?" I heard Zack’s voice,

My heart skipped a beat. I lifted my head, and I had to hold back a gasp. He was so beautiful.

"Almost." I mumbled. "I’m just tying my shoes."

I looked back down. My fingers were shaking, and tying my shoes was now a bit harder.

I liked Zack. Well, I was probably in love with Zack, but I was too afraid and awkward to do anything about it. I wouldn't even know what to do. I’ve never liked anyone before. I’ve never even thought about boys before. Everyone scared me.

But Zack was different. He was so kind and patient. He made me laugh. He made me feel safe.

I had no one to talk to about liking him. My brothers would lose it if they found out. They were overprotective, and they kept everyone away from me.

Well, except Zack and Blake. They trusted them.

I lifted my head and stood up. Zack smiled at me, making my knees buckle.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

"A little." I said, giving him a small nod.

I had to go back to school, and it scared me. Max, Milo, and I finished our last year at home. I was recovering from surgery, and they didn’t want to leave me alone. The principal allowed us to finish the year at home, but now we were going back, and I was nervous.

"Don’t be, beautiful." Zack said, giving me another small smile. "Your brothers will be there. Blake will be there. I will be there."

Zack approached me. Shivers went up and down my spine. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. His fingers touched my neck gently, and I had to force myself to stay up. I almost crumbled to the floor.

He kept his eyes on mine the entire time. I wasn’t sure if I was breathing.

"Do you trust me, Madeline?" Zack mumbled quietly.

I nodded slowly.

He looked at my lips. My muscles clenched.

"I like you, Maddie." he said, making my heart stop beating. "Well, no, that’s not true. I love you, Maddie. I’ve been in love with you for a while now."

My eyes widened. My heart raced. I could hear it in my ears. It was banging against my ribcage.

He looked back up and smiled. I was going to pass out.

"Breathe, Mads." he said as he chuckled and caressed my cheek.

I wasn’t breathing? I forced myself to take a deep breath.

"You are an amazing girl, Madeline." Zack continued. "I am head over heels in love with you. I know that you’ve been through a lot, and I am not forcing anything. I will be patient. I will wait as long as I have to wait. I will be here for you, Maddie. I will be here as a friend, hoping that some day we could be more than that."

My heart was in my throat. I couldn't speak.

Zack smiled at me and caressed my cheek again. He furrowed his eyebrows when I didn’t say anything.

"Did I scare you?" he asked worriedly.

I forced myself to shake my head.

"No." I mumbled, my voice raspy. "I’ve never thought that you would like me too. I’ve never thought that you would…"