Chapter 31

Madeline POV

It felt like someone had picked me up.

I wanted to open my eyes, but I couldn't. I was just too tired. I spent the entire day at the hospital. Sam made sure that I was as comfortable as I could possibly have been in that situation. He made sure that there weren’t too many people around. He made sure that he did all the exams that involved touching, except the gynecological exam. He made sure that it was all very fast and efficient.

It still made me so tired. I still had a fever. I still felt like I had been hit by a train.

But why was someone carrying me? Did I fall asleep in the car?

I didn’t. We came home before I fell asleep. I ate dinner. I talked to my brothers and cousins. Was it all just a dream? Maybe it was. I was just so tired that I wouldn't be surprised if I fell asleep in the car.

I could hear whispers around me. I could feel the cold air on my skin.

I wanted to open my eyes, but I couldn't. My eyelids were just too heavy.

"Could you be more louder?" someone sighed.

Was someone being loud? I couldn't hear anything except the voice of someone who was carrying me.

"It’s not like they are going to wake up," another voice said. "They are drugged, remember?"

Drugged? Someone was drugged? What? Who?

My heart raced.

"There are neighbors around," the voice of someone who was carrying me said. "We still need to be careful."

I groaned, trying to open my eyes.

"Shit." someone mumbled.

I felt something under my nose. It smelled terrible, and it made my head hurt like hell.

What the hell was going on? What the hell was I dreaming about?

The last thing I heard before being pulled into the darkness was a car door being closed.

I woke up with a terrible headache.

Did my fever get worse over the night? Did that weird dream make my head hurt?

I groaned and tired to turn to my side, but something was stopping me.

I couldn't move my arms or my legs.

I furrowed my eyebrows and tired to open my eyes. My eyelids were still so heavy.

I tried to move my arms and legs again, and that’s when I realized that I was sitting down on a chair.

What?

Why the hell was I sitting down? Why couldn't I move?

"Hello, Madeline." I heard an unknown voice.

My heart raced.

Where was I? What happened to me?

"Come on, open your eyes." the voice said.

I listened and opened my eyes. It was hard, but I did it. I didn’t want to anger the person who told me to open my eyes. They sounded annoyed already.

I saw a man standing in front of me. I didn’t know the man, but he looked so familiar. He looked like my brothers.

I looked around the room, and my heart stopped beating.

This wasn’t my brothers’ house. I didn’t even know what this place was.

I looked down and saw that I was tied to a chair.

My heart raced to the point where every beat hurt.

I was going to die in this room. I knew it. I had a feeling.

"How did you survive, Madeline?" the person in front of me asked, making me look back up.

I didn’t know what he was talking about, but I knew that I wouldn't survive this.

The man in front of me sighed and shook his head.

"It doesn’t really matter." he said. "You won’t get out of this room alive anyway."

I knew it. I wanted to cry, but there was no point in crying. I always knew that I wouldn't live long. I always knew that my life would have a violent end. The only difference was that I thought my foster father would kill me, not this man in front of me. But it didn’t really matter who it was going to be. The end result would be the same. I wouldn’t exist anymore.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice quiet and raspy.

"You don’t recognize your own father?" the man in front of me smirked.

My eyes widened. My heart raced.
My father?

"I wasn’t successful in killing you the first time, but I will be successful now." he said, making my stomach turn.

And then a thought came to me. It made me want to cry.

How did he even get me here?

How did he take me away from my brothers and cousins? Did he hurt them? Oh, please, no. I needed them to be okay. They couldn’t be hurt because of me. They didn’t deserve to be hurt.

I should never have come to this town. I should have gone somewhere else.

Suddenly, I missed the safeness of my small tent.

"Where are my brothers?" I asked, trying to stop my voice from shaking.

My father smirked.

"They are home." he said. "They are safe."

Oh, thank God.

"Did you really think that they would choose you over their own parents?" my father said mockingly.

My heart stopped beating.

"They came to their senses and called us." he continued. "They asked us to get rid of you. Did you really think that they wanted you?"

No.

Please no.

It couldn't be true. They wanted me. I felt it. I remembered them, and they remembered me. They wanted me. They wanted me!

"No one has ever wanted you, Madeline." my father continued as he took a step closer to me. "I never wanted you. Your mother never wanted you. Your brothers never wanted you. You family never wanted you. No one ever wanted a girl as weak as you."

He was right.

I knew it. I was completely unwanted in this world.

My heart was completely shattered. If he didn’t kill me, the pain in my heart definitely would.

Was I wrong about my brothers and cousins? Did I make a mistake by trusting them?

"I will do everyone a favor when I kill you, Madeline." my father said. "We will all be better off without you I this world."

He was right.

Someone opened the door, making my father turn around.

A woman who looked a lot like me was standing at the door, staring at me with an angry expression on her face.

"We have visitors." she said quietly.

My father sighed and looked back at me.

"I will be back soon, Madeline." he said. "But I can’t have you awake and screaming, can I?"

I wasn’t going to scream. I made peace with the fact that he was going to kill me.

He was right. Everyone would be better off without me in this world.

I saw a fist flying toward my face, and I was back in the darkness again.