Chapter 37

Milo POV

My heart was going to jump out of my body.

I rushed toward the living room.

Did something happen to Maddie?

"Maddie!" I shouted as I ran into the living room.

I looked around frantically. I almost cried in relief when my eyes landed on her.

She was okay.

I rushed toward her and pulled her into my arms. Max was right behind me.

"What the fuck, Sam?!" Max exclaimed angrily. "We thought that something had happened."

"Something did happen." Sam said, making my heart stop.

I looked down at Maddie. She seemed okay.

"What’s wrong, love?" I asked her, panicking. "Are you hurt?"

"She is okay." Sam said. "One of my men called to tell me that our fucking parents sent people after us. We need to leave. Now."

I looked at Sam wide-eyed.

"What?"

"Your men?"

Max and I said at the same time.

"I called a few friends that owed me a favor." Sam said as he started throwing bags toward the front door. "I asked them to keep an eye out on the fuckers."

My heart raced. I tightened my arms around Maddie.

"We have to go." Ryan said. "Now."

Maddie pressed herself closer to me.

"It’s okay." I mumbled. "They won’t take you again. They won’t hurt you. I promise."

I watched as Max rushed toward the bags, grabbed as much as he could, and rushed through the front door.

"Dad?" I heard Zack’s voice, and I looked at him. "Listen, something came up, and I have to go away for a few days."

I watched as he walked further away. I couldn't hear his conversation anymore.

We didn’t agree that he could come. What the fuck was he doing?

"Keep me informed." Blake said as he approached us and smiled at Maddie. "I will make sure that you get everything you need from school."

I nodded, keeping my eyes on Zack.

"I am here for you if you need me, Maddie." Blake said as he placed a hand on Maddie’s back and rubbed it gently. "Your brothers mean a lot to me, and that makes you very important to me. I can’t wait for all of this to be over so we can hang out and get to know each other better."

"Thank you, Blake." Maddie said softly, giving him a small smile. "I’m looking forward to it."

Zack ended the conversation with his father just in time to hear the last few words that Blake had said.

Anger flashed in his eyes. He tightened his jaw and approached us.

"Get Maddie to the car!" Sam yelled before Zack could say anything to Blake.

I flinched and moved immediately.

I picked her up and rushed out.

"I can walk." Maddie mumbled.

"It’s faster this way." I said, giving her a small smile.

Max was throwing bags into the trunk. Ryan was already behind the wheel.

I jumped in the back, holding Maddie as close to me as I possibly could.

I watched as Zack and Blake rushed outside. Blake said something to Sam, who nodded and slammed the front door. I watched as he locked it and rushed toward the car.

Max got into the car and sat next to Maddie and me.

"It’s okay, Mads." Max mumbled as he placed a kiss on her cheek. "We’ve got you."

Zack got in as well.

"Are you really coming with us?" I asked him angrily.

"We don’t have time for this." Sam said as he got it and looked at me. "We need to leave. Now."

Ryan started driving. I could see his hands tighten around the steering wheel.

"We have to make sure that no one is following us." Sam said, looking around. "We can’t lead them to the cabin."

"What about Zack?" I asked, making Sam glance back at me.

"We are not stopping." Sam said. "He is obviously coming with us."

I frowned and looked at him. His eyes were on Maddie. He was tense, and his fists were clenched.

Ryan was driving so fast that the car was shaking a little.

"Can you go faster?" Max asked, looking behind us.

"I don’t want to kill us." Ryan mumbled, glancing at Max through the rearview mirror.

"What if something happens to you?" Maddie mumbled, making me look down at her.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"What if they hurt you?" she asked, looking up at me, and I could see the fear in her eyes. "What if they find us and hurt you? Maybe I should..."

"Do not finish that sentence, Mads." Max told her. "The worst thing that can happen to us is if they hurt you."

"But..." Maddie spoke, but Max interrupted her again.

"Nothing will happen to us, Maddie." Max said softly as he reached out and caressed her cheek. "Even if it did, it would be worth it. I would do anything to keep you safe."

Maddie frowned at him.

"I want to keep you safe too." she said.

"We know, love." I said as I kissed her temple.

"You are keeping our sanity safe, May." Zack said, making her look at him.

"May?" Max asked, looking at him and raising an eyebrow.

"What?" Zack sighed, rolling his eyes. "You all have nicknames for her. I found my own."

I rolled my eyes and looked through the window. Ryan was driving so fast that the trees were a blur.

"How far away is the cabin?" Max asked.

"An hour away." Sam said, glancing at the dashboard. "Well, about forty minutes away if Ryan continues to drive like this."

"Good." I said as I tightened my arms around Maddie.

"Did you do the exam, Sam?" Max asked as he placed a finger under Maddie’s chin and lifted it gently.

"I did." Sam said as he turned around. "Nothing is broken, thank God. Her lip is split, though, and there are some small wounds in her mouth. She probably bit the inside of her cheek."

Anger flashed in Max’s eyes.

"I wish that we could kill them." Max mumbled. "If I were a hundred percent sure that I wouldn't go to jail, I would fucking kill them."

"Did they do anything else, May?" Zack asked, his voice trembling. "Did they hurt you anywhere else?"

Maddie tensed up. I placed a kiss on her temple.

"Not that I know of." she mumbled. "I was unconscious most of the time."

"How did they take you anyway?" Ryan asked. "The fuckers drugged us. We were asleep."

"I think that they drugged me too." Maddie said.

I saw fucking red.

I would kill them if it wouldn't separate me from Max and Maddie.

"Assholes." Sam mumbled angrily.

Maddie leaned her head on my shoulders and took a deep breath.

"Are you tired?" I asked her.

She nodded.

"Okay, love." I said, placing a kiss on her forehead. "Sleep."

She nodded and got more comfortable in my arms. Max took her hand in his and rubbed small circles on her palm.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

There was so much anger inside me. I felt like I was going to explode any second now.