Chapter 28

Miles POV

I kissed her cheek and placed my hand on her forehead.

She was burning up.

Fuck.

"Let her sleep." Sam said quietly. "She will be better when she wakes up."

I nodded and stood up. Max made sure that she was covered before we followed Sam out of the room.

I was in so much pain. It was both physical and emotional. I wanted to punch something, I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry.

How could my parents do it? How could they leave their child to die? How could they separate us? How could they leave her?

I had so many questions that my head started to hurt. I needed answers. I wanted answers.

Max sighed as he sat down on the couch. I sat next to him and wiped my sweaty hands on my pants.

"Is it wrong that I want to kill your parents?" Sam mumbled, making me look at him.

"No." Max answered. "I want to help you."

"How is she?" Ryan asked as he walked into the living room.

I turned around to look at him. He looked pissed as fuck.

"Burning up." Sam mumbled. "I gave her a pill, and she fell asleep. She will be better when she wakes up."

Sam was pacing around, making me even more nervous than I already was.

"My friend from Social Services called." Ryan said as he sat down and ran a hand over his face. "Their foster parents want to see her."

"No!" Max and I exclaimed at the same time.

Fuck no. That man would never see her again. He would never breathe the air around her again.

"Of course not." Ryan said, looking at us. "I told my friend what they did. They are reporting them to the police."

Ryan looked at Sam.

"We will need evidence." Ryan said. "We will need photos and medical reports."

My stomach turned. I already knew how afraid Maddie would be.

Sam nodded and sat down. "We will take her to the hospital when she wakes up."

Max looked at me, and I took his hand in mine.

He hadn’t talked much since he found her in that bathroom. I could tell that it shook him.

Sam’s phone rang, and he pulled it out of his pocket. Anger flashed in his eyes. I watched as he answered the call. He put the call on speaker and placed the phone on the table.

"Can you explain to me why you brought home an orphan?" I heard my uncle’s voice.

Rage exploded inside of me. Max tightened his hand around mine.

"Did you know about her, father?" Sam asked, tightening his jaw. "Did you have anything to do with it?"

"Of course I did." his father said calmly. "I helped with everything."

Was he fucking serious?!

My heart started beating painfully hard. The four of us were speechless.

"Are you fucking serious?" Sam mumbled after a few moments of silence. "You are admitting it? Just like that?"

His father sighed.

"There weren’t any girls in our family in centuries." he said. "We couldn't let it happen. We couldn't let one little girl destroy our family line."