chapter nine

I HAVE NO idea why I changed my outfit three times since waking up this morning

I HAVE NO idea why I changed my outfit three times since waking up this morning. It was just two friends hanging out and watching movies - that's all. So why was I in my head about it? It was just Luke. He didn't care what I wore.

At first, I had on sweatpants and a random tee, but then thought I looked too much like a slob. But then I threw on some leggings and a tee and have been debating on which shirt to wear. To ease my mind I just settled on a random marvel shirt and my hockey hoodie.

"I'm going to see a friend and will be eating there," I told Mom when she was washing the dishes. She paused and raised an eyebrow. It wasn't like me to make friends.

"Oh? I'm assuming it's not Lucy or Camille or else you would have started with that. What's her name?" Mom asked, resuming her washing.

"His name is Luke," I told her. She dropped the plate back into the sink making the bubbles and water go everywhere. All the boys looked up from the paper they had crowded around. They were trying to prove to Gustavo that they could write their own song and it wasn't going well for them.

"Is this a friend or a friend," she asked and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. She didn't know anything so I bit my tongue.

"A friend. We've been getting coffee every day for like four months aside from the past few weeks," I explained, messing with my water bottle cap, not looking her in the eye.

"I've met him, Mama Knight. He's a really nice guy," Carlos said, making everyone look at him. He gave me a smile and a wink, purposefully ignoring them.

She shut off the water and dried her hands, looking back and forth between me and Carlos. "Does he have a job?"

"He's in a band," I mumbled, hating the interrogation. But she's my Mom and always looking out for me. Especially with what happened with my Dad.

"A band like your brother's trying to get off their feet or a band that is established?"

"They've done a few tours and are well-established in the music community," I told her as the boys started to whisper. If they even think about asking me to get them to help I'll slam their faces into a door. This is why I'm not telling her just how famous he was.

She gave me a look for a few minutes which made me uncomfortable. "Well, I want to meet him. Bring him over for dinner one night and I promise that I won't cook," she joked, making me snort with laughter. The best she can make is frozen chicken nuggets.

"I'll let him know. It'll be a bit since they're trying to finish up their third album," I explained, praying his message that he was here came through soon. His place was too far for me to walk and he refused to let me take the bus despite me telling him it would be okay.

"Is he picking you up?" She asked, watching me check my phone for the thousandth time.

"Yeah, he should be here soon."