chapter eighteen

Here's an update because i'm going to see 5sauce!! Are you guys going? Im so excited

I HELPED MOM start getting everything ready, Luke's sweatshirt tucked away somewhere it wouldn't get ruined or fall in the hands of jealous James. Katie was sitting in front of us on her phone, a wide grin pk her face.

She was supposed to help Mom cook everything but has been a little distracted by a boy named Dean. I didn't mind, I think it's adorable.

"Can I go hang out with Dean?" She asked, taking a break from her phone to look at us. She was a little antsy on the stool and I had to bite back my smile.

Mom frowned. "You're supposed to help me and Kaley with dinner," she stated as I dug around for our cutting board.

"Please," she begged, giving her puppy eyes that none of us could resist. Mom relented with a sigh.

"Fine but be back by six!" She yelled as Katie booked it out of the apartment. I couldn't help the laughter that came out of my mouth. Mom swatted at me before propping up the Ipad that had the recipe on it.

I began chopping the onions that we needed, my eyes instantly watering. "It's cute. You have to admit that," I said, sniffling a bit which was a mistake because the onion scent filled my nose.

"It is. I just want her to be careful," Mom admitted, washing her hands before touching the beef.

I was silent for a moment. "Mom, Luke, and I were talking the other day when he was here and Dad was brought up. Will you ever tell me what happened to him?"  I blurted out, not looking over at her, afraid of her reaction. It was an unspoken rule that we never brought him up.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her hover the cracked egg over the bowl of meat. She sniffed as if she was holding back her own tears.

Mom cleared her throat and began to move again. "What I'm about to tell you, don't tell your siblings. Katie is too young and Kendall would get too mad. He's said before he doesn't care what happened to him. He hates him for leaving," Mom said as I looked over at her. She had a tear streaking down her face and my heart twisted. I shouldn't have asked.

Before I hurt myself, I put the knife down and gave her my full attention. "Your father loved all of you - even if he never met Katie. He was so excited to have another child. You see, he was a mechanic and he was testing a motorcycle to see if it was running smoothly after they fixed it." She paused for a moment. "But a car hit him. He was sent to the hospital and given some pain medication for the broken leg and ribs he had, but the medication got the best of him."

A horrified gasp left my lips as it dawned on me what she meant. "He changed into a completely different person and he knew it. The lying to get more medication, stealing money from our account, all of it. I was seven months pregnant with Katie when I woke up to a note saying he was leaving so the three of you could have a better life. That he was going to fight his addiction and come home to be the man he once was."