chapter sixteen

KATIE SAT IN the passage seat since Crystal told her she could control the music

KATIE SAT IN the passage seat since Crystal told her she could control the music. I was squished between Lucy and Jo as my sister switched on a pop station.

"So, I'm assuming this post is about you," Jo said, handing me her phone. On the screen was an Instagram post from Calum. It was Luke sitting in front of the screen from last night, guitar in hand smiling broadly at the camera.

calumhood; you literally sang for three hours straight and you're singing to your unofficial girlfriend more?!?! get off the camera you simp so the rest of us can sleep.

You couldn't see my face in the photo but that didn't stop the flood of positive and negative comments. I snorted when one prayed I'd be better than his last.

"I really should make an account," I commented as Jo reached over and began to show me more photos that have been posted over the time Luke and I have been talking. None had my face in it, but the captions from the guys were teasing.

"You should. Luke indirectly comments about you all the time on his post," she explained.

Crystal piped up from the front. "Show her the first one."

Lucy gasped in her seat. "I almost forgot about that one. You'll love it," she said, pulling her phone out to find it. "I took a screenshot because I've been meaning to show it to you but I keep forgetting."

lukehemmings; think i just met the girl i want to spend the rest of my life with.

My heart leaped out of my chest when I saw the date. It was the first day we talked. The photo was him with a faraway look in his eye since he was so photogenic.

I handed her back the phone before pulling mine out and downloading the app. I'm caving into the peer pressure of social media. Jo and Lucy helped me come up with a username with my name. We settled on kaleknight since it was the only thing available.

By the time we figured that out, we already picked up the food and made it to Crystal's house. This is why I didn't have social media in the first place. Too much work.

After putting all of our stuff down and dishing out the food, we took a look at my sister's dress - careful not to get food on it. It was an okay dress and I could tell she didn't want to go to the dance in that.

Without a word, Crystal rushed out of the room. A few minutes later she came back with an armful of dresses. "These are some from when I first started modeling. They might fit you," she explained, picking up her food again.

Katie hesitated before going through the pile. She found one she really liked but it was just a bit too big for her. But there was a silver one that shimmered in the light. It came to her mid-thigh and had straps that made her feel comfortable since they weren't extremely thin.

"You look amazing," I told her with a smile. She gave me an unsure look and before she could try to protest we pulled her into the bathroom. Jo put a towel over her shoulders and I sat on the counter ready to do whatever they told me.