chapter thirteen

A CHEER CAME out of my mouth when Luke caught the fortieth piece of popcorn I threw in the air

A CHEER CAME out of my mouth when Luke caught the fortieth piece of popcorn I threw in the air. The rom-com we had picked out was long forgotten as it gave us background noise.

Luke invited me over for one last hang-out session but we rather goof off than stay silent staring at a screen. We won't get to see each other for seven months. It was going to feel longer than that since we'd seen each other practically every day for the past few.

I threw another piece but he moved too far to the side and it hit him in the eye instead. I booed and threw a handful at him, earning a look.

"That's it," he joked leaning towards me. I scrambled off of the couch just barely catching the bowl so it didn't spill all over the floor.

Luke quickly caught me since he has long legs. His fingers instantly began to tickle my sides. I screamed out in laughter trying to get out of his grasp but my feet were hanging above the ground.

After a minute he dropped me back on the floor but kept his arm around me. I could stay like this forever. He cleared his throat and stepped away from me, his arm dropping.

"Do you want some water?" He asked, not allowing me to answer before he made his way to the fridge. He tossed me the water and I took a big gulp, trying to calm my racing heart.

He opened his mouth to say something but his phone rang. A smile spread on his lips as he answered the call.

"Uncle Luke!" Zoe's cute voice came from the speaker. She was so adorable. "Can you sing to me, pleasseeee!"

Luke gave me a look over his phone to which I gave him a 'are you kidding me' look. "Of course. Let me get my guitar," he told her. I took a seat on the couch like last time and let my head fall onto the backing.

His singing almost brought me to sleep so when the music cut off I grumbled. I could hear his laughter but tried to muffle it as Zoe seemed to have fallen asleep as well.

"What, did my voice make you fall asleep too?" He teased, making me open my eyes a little. Luke was putting away his guitar, his back to me. I could see his muscles flex under the tank top he was wearing.

"It's comforting when you sing like that," I grumbled, trying to get comfortable. The last thing I wanted to do was sleep when I was with him, but how could I not when I hear an angel sing?

The couch dipped back down and he pulled my legs into his lap. "Then I'll sing to you every night when I'm gone."

My eyes flew open looking wide at him. He had that heartstopping grin that all the girls loved on his lips while he stared at me. "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"I can't let you do that. Especially after you've played a show," I told him, my heart squeezing just at the thought.

He waved me off. "I don't care about that. If you're awake and you want I'll sing to you," he told me before grabbing a pillow that fell on the floor from his attack earlier and handing it to me. "Get some sleep. I can see you are tired. I'll wake you up in an hour."