chapter nineteen

AFTER TEASING MY baby sister for an hour as she struggled to do all of the dishes by herself - Hey, she offered since she bailed on the cooking - I grabbed Luke's sweatshirt and was about to slip out when a voice stopped me

I turned to see James standing there with his hands in his pockets, looking very uncomfortable. "Can we talk?"

"That depends, are you going to be a jerk?" I asked, ignoring how he winced at my words. He shook his head and I nodded towards the door. "Walk me back then."

Everyone else had gone to bed since they had to be at the airport early in the morning. That made me a little unsettled but with how timid he's acting I doubt anything bad is going to happen.

Instead of going up to my and Lucy's apartment we stopped at the community balcony that is hardly used. It overlooked the city streets and that's the last thing people want to see to relax. We both rested our arms on the railing and just watched the night traffic for a little.

"I'm sorry."

His apology came out of nowhere and I couldn't help the shocked look on my face. "What?" I breathed out watching as he swallowed harshly as if it physically hurt him to do this.

"I'm sorry for everything I did to you. I didn't mean any of those things that I said or break your heart," he confessed, grabbing the railing tighter. "I messed up and I know sorry isn't enough to fix this, but you deserve an apology and I couldn't go on tour without doing it."

"James, where is this coming from?" I asked, thoroughly confused.

"I heard what Luke said when he came to see you the other day," he whispered, my heart actually breaking for the guy for a bit. "I didn't realize how bad I was until I heard that and it kind of was a slap to my face. I was just so angry when you wouldn't let me explain myself and then jealous when I saw the way you were looking at Luke before you even realized you had feelings for him."

"Wait. Did you follow us?" I asked, earning a wide-eyed look and frantic shaking of his head.

"No. Gustavo let us have a break and I took a walk in the park and I guess ended up near you guys. The distraught look on his face when he compared himself to me just made something snap at me. I know there is no going back to us but I miss you as my best friend. It's been the five of us forever and now it's just not right."

I laughed and a tear fell from my eye. "James, all I ever wanted was an apology. Your words put me through a tough time but it wasn't you. That was someone Hollywood made and I'm glad you've realized that. I forgive you. But it's going to take a long time until we get back to where we started."

"I'm just glad you're giving me a second chance to be your friend again. Luke is a really lucky guy and if it will cause problems between the two of you, I will take a step back," he said with a timid smile. It was so odd seeing him like this. James is overly confident and this was the complete opposite.