chapter fourteen

CRYSTAL KEPT ME company as we waited for the boys to come back

CRYSTAL KEPT ME company as we waited for the boys to come back. She was gushing about how she was finally happy Luke and I kissed because she was - and I quote - "about to smash our heads together". I told her about how I ran here and could feel it settling in my muscles.

"Don't worry, by the time I'm done with you, you won't have to worry about that," she said, making me groan. I wanted to protest but the doors opened and I shot up on my feet, eager to talk to Luke. Ashton, Calum, and Michael filled in, but Luke wasn't there.

"He's out there. He wanted to talk to you in private," Ashton said, giving me a sweaty hug. I lightly pushed him away but still accepted the hug at a distance. I gave the other two quick hugs before peeking my head out the door, a smile forming when I saw a sweaty Luke standing there.

He held out his hand and I took it, allowing him to take me to a secluded area. Well, as secluded as it could be with people trying to clean up the venue.

"Kaley, I -"

"No, Luke. Let me talk," I told him, squeezing his hand. His eyes held a worried glint but I wasn't going to kiss him like that and disappear. "I like you. I have for a while. I've been hiding my feelings because I never thought you would want to be with me but I want this. Whatever is going to bloom between us. I'm terrified to make this leap but I trust you, more than anyone. If you tell me you'll be there to catch me when I fall, I'll believe it."

Instead of responding with words, he pressed a soft kiss to my lips, his hand caressing the back of my neck. "I'm not going anywhere. That first day I met you wasn't the first I saw you. I held the door open for you weeks before that, but you were gone before I had the chance to say anything. I went back to that coffee shop every day at that time to see if I could find you. The voice in the back of my head was telling me I would be an idiot to let you slip through my fingers and I was scared too. With how my last relationship ended, another wasn't on my mind. Not until you. And then you told me about James and I decided I would wait until you were ready. Even if it meant I got stuck in the friend zone, I'd have you in my life."

A few hot tears slipped down my cheeks and I laughed before using my sweater to wipe them away. "So you stalked me," I joked, making him roll his eyes. He brought a thumb up to my face and wiped away another tear.

"Technically yes," he admitted, his cheeks flushing when he realized it. "But that wasn't my intention."

I poked the dimple on his cheek. "I know," I softly said before pressing a kiss to his lips. "I want to try this Luke."

"I do too. When I get back from tour, I'm going to take you on the best date of your life," he promised as someone cleared their throat behind us. I turned to see Calum standing there with a smile on his face.

"Hate to break this moment, but we need to leave," he told us, making Luke nod.

"Give me a minute," he said, dismissing his friend. He looked back down at me, his eyes shining. "I hate that this happened right when I'm leaving for the tour and have to wait months, but give me that chance."