Chapter Seventeen

Sorry this came out so late I have been obnoxious busy :(

I hoped Masky didn't realize that I had scooted a little closer to him. But I casted my dignity away as soon as I had felt a change in the forest. Everything had seemed to be hiding away, even the sun hid from whatever was residing here in the forest. I'm sure Masky noticed this change as well because he stood a bit taller and had his hand on his crowbar.

But on the brighter side of things I actually knew where we were. We were on a trail that could take us near my house, if we followed it. The knowledge of actually knowing where I was gave me a sliver of comfort. But the fear that had held my heart tightened its grip and drained away the confidence quickly. It felt like someone was watching me and it terrified me. My eyes flew to any bush or tree that gave the slightest of a quiver in fear of someone or something lurking behind it.

Masky seemed to notice this, "It'll be ok, besides we're nearing the public eye so nothing can really get us now," He reassured.

I nodded my head and tried to relax my tense shoulders, trying to blow off the paranoia.

Suddenly an ear piercing release of static flooded my mind and sent my head reeling. I squeezed my eyes shut and flung my hands to my ears to try and protect them from such a violent sound. I squinted my eyes and tried to see what was going on. I saw Masky frantically looking around for the thing that was emitting such a hideous noise.

I focused back in when I heard Masky shout something at me.

"Run! Run to your house! I'll catch up with you later," He yelled at me before taking off in the opposite direction.

I picked myself up and sprinted down the path. My eyes were filled with tears as the splitting pain that was reverberating in my mind continued to eat away at my vision. I ran and ran until I felt like my lungs were going to explode with all of the cold air they were inhaling. Bushes, trees and god knows what else scratched and scraped at my legs but I paid no mind to them, I had a feeling I knew what was causing the now fading pain. And I definitely didn't want to be there when it came out of whatever place it was hiding in.

I continued to run until I could see a clearing in the woods. The familiar sight of my home fueled my legs to keep pushing. A smile formed on my face as I neared the front door, I only stopped when I was standing right infant of the door. I looked under the doormat for the spare key and opened the door frantically. I swung it open and slammed it close. I turned right around and made sure I locked every single one of the locks.

I leaned my back and head against the door and closed my eyes. I inhaled the comforting scent of my own little house. God, I've missed this place so much. I reopened my eyes and looked around. The house seemed much messier than usual, I would guess it was because of my disappearance. My heart started to ache at the thought of them losing their only child. I shook my head and walked to my room. Even if I stayed and waited for their return I would put them at risk of Masky's wrath.

I opened the refrigerator and glanced inside to see if there was anything I could eat. I took a bottle of water and a couple of strawberries to munch on. I took them both to my room and sat on my bed. It was so nice not having to worry about anything trying to kill me and being able to just be a normal person, even if it was just for a couple of minutes.

 As I ate the strawberries I wondered what I was going to take with me. I would obviously take some of my clothes but I wasn't sure what else to take. I noticed a little bag sitting atop my desk that I didn't remember placing there before.