Chapter 6: In His Eyes

Sam comes out of the room from Ms. Dean's office. "I think I've rested enough. How long was I out?" He asks.
I look up pensively from the item log notepad. I move the cursor and briefly count three hours.

"Three hours. I think that's a normal nap time. Some dude stopped by and said he'd return. He said his name was Twilight." I say.

He rubs his bare chin. "That's weird. He's usually on covert missions far away from here."

"What does Twilight do exactly?" I narrow my gaze at him. He shrugs.

"He gathers information for the council of mages that lead our organization. What did he say?"

"Nothing much. He said something about Ms. Dean giving him a mission or something." I shrug and look back at the clipboard.

"I wonder what that mission was."

I laugh nervously. "Yeah. Me too."

"Ding!" "Ding!" The front door bells chime. "You two will not believe who me and Baran found outside the shop. Twilight! Ash, you may not know who this is." Ms. Dean says.

"We met earlier." I say while staring at the numbers on the log before me.

"Oh, well that's great. I hope you get comfortable with him being around because the upper council has appointed him as a guard to watch over you all until Baran finishes paying back for what he stole." I look up at them in shock and walk around the counter.

I cross my arms. This may be a problem. If I hold the information I have about my powers and that galactic warlord, Twilight will keep using it to undermine my work and may eventually blackmail me to do missions I do not want to do. I might as well tell a half truth. This way he would not have much sway over my work.

"Twilight told me earlier that Ms. Dean sent him to check on me last night and-" Twilight lifts his palm up.

"You don't have to tell her this now. I don't think it's a good idea to talk about this right now." Twilight says and gives me a stern look. I clear my throat.

"Me and Twilight have similar powers. I can travel through space and other dimensions." Ms. Dean's eyes widen and Baran pulls his hood back. He briskly walks up to me and narrow his eyes down at me. He leans next to my ear.

"So, you can help me find what I'm looking for. How about we meet up later? Your place or mine?" He whispers then pulls away from me. He winks at me. "You don't need to give me an answer right now. Think about it and come back to me." I roll my eyes and shake my head. Sam steps in between us. I smile and Sam glares at Baran.

"What do you think you're doing? Leave her alone." Sam says defensively. Baran chuckles.

"Baran I told you before, I don't know what you're talking about and I won't help you with whatever you're up to." I say. He chuckles again.

"We'll see about that." He says and throws his hood back on his head. He stomps out of the shop. Ms. Dean throws her arms up. "Really? You're just going to walk off?" She asks.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

After work, I wait for my mother to pick me up at the entrance of the shop. My eyes stare at the subtitles on a video on some streaming site. A big hand snatches the phone out of my grasp. I look up and briefly see a burgundy hooded figure run around the corner of the building. Baran. I run after him and when I look around the corner Twilight is standing there with glowing red eyes and a black cloak. "Do you know about a vibrating gold crystal?" He asks while waving my phone in the air.

I shake my head. This cannot be Twilight. "Baran, I know it's you." I say he smirks and his eyes shift back to brown. "Lucky guess." He says and his cloak turns back to burgundy.

"Give me my phone back." I try to reach for it and he lifts it higher.

"No." He says then chuckles. I try to tickle his ribs but he does not react.

"I know you're ticklish somewhere." I jump on his torso and interlock my legs behind his back. My hands massage up his back all the way to the crown of his head. I deeply massage it and he laughs. He steps back a bit and secures me with one arm around my waist. "I knew you were ticklish." I say.

He tickles my rib and I laugh. We laugh until we have to catch our breaths. In that moment, he gives me a hungry kiss. My eyes are wide until I  relax into the kiss and close my eyes. What am I doing? I need to go home. What if my mother is parked waiting for me in the parking lot? I pull away from him and he kisses a trail down from my cheek to my neck. My phone rings. I snatch it out of his hand and release my hold on him.

"Don't go." He whispers.

"I have to go home. My mother is probably waiting for me in the parking lot." I say in a sexy voice. I did not know my voice could sound like Marilyn Monroe wishing J.F.K. a happy birthday. Now I know. He releases me and I land on my feet. I answer the call and turn away from him.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

After soaking in peppermint leaves, I am back in my bed and yearning to bother the warlord again. I should probably think about that kiss and what it will mean for me and Baran's relationship but... I am sure he only kissed me to help him find the crystal he is looking for. I jump out of my bed and peak through the blinds on my window. No sign of Twilight. I smirk and flop my body on my bed. I wrap my self like a taco in my blue and white covers and dive deep into a lucid dream.

Through the black expanse, I find myself in the warlord's cool fiery lair again. I hear his voice echo through the throne room. The throne is empty. Behind it the voice gets louder. Beyond blue cool flames making up the walls around, is a hallway and at the center of it is darkness. I walk down the hall until I reach a big room with chandeliers made of blue flames hanging from ceilings made of indigo flames. A shallow pool of sky, blue clear water sits in a oval circle that looks like an eye from the aerial view. Inside the water the warlord's lean back is facing me. I sit on the edge of the pool and dip my legs in. "I have you right where I want you, now." He says and chuckles. Two pale blue arms shoot out from the water and pull me under.