Chapter 15: Gone

Cynthia occupies most of my husband's moments when he is home. My husband gives me gifts every time he feels guilty about it. He has given me a wardrobe of different dimensions and portals that I can call on just by thinking about it. It's awesome. I thought it would be best if I raise our new son through his toddler years in the wardrobe and away from Cynthia's drama. I have found some tools to do arts and crafts with the baby. The baby does not seem interested in them though. All he does is make things levitate with his mind all day.

In my memory room, we sit on the lightly tan carpet beside my big, brown canopy bed. Holograms of memories whiz by our heads. My husbands image floats by us a couple of times. I rub my son's dark grey hair and his eyes turn glowing red. "What's wrong sweety? Do you miss your father?" I ask him. He nods his head. He stands up and looks at me with furrowing brows. "Why don't you and dad stay in the same home? Why do you let that lady win? Are you weak mom? Or do you not want to fight for our family?" He asks.

I shake my head at him and think of the times I spent with my father. He taught me how to walk, how to ride a bike, and basic principles to follow in life. When I was a child on Earth during my recent human lifetime, I was a tomboy that played with others my age that had similar tastes as me. I had more boy comrades than girl comrades and that bothered my father. One day he pulled me off of a playground and sat beside me on a bench. "Look Ash, I know you're a tomboy and into hobbies that aren't what most girls are into, but I don't want you to get hurt. Can you promise me something?" He asked me.

I nod my head and giggle while kicking my dangling legs on the edge of the bench. My favourite action cartoon heroes adorn my shirt, shorts and glowing green sneakers. "Ash this is serious, look Daddy in the eyes and promise me that you will not ever trust any male ever." He says.

I look him in the eyes. "Why shouldn't I trust males? Aren't you a male?" I ask and look at him quizzically.

"Yes, I am but most males out here don't mean you any good. They like ruining smart girls like you to dim your hopes and dreams. Remember you have the ability to be great. Don't let anybody hold you back from your aspirations. What do you want to be when you get older?"

"I want to be powerful like the 'Puff Girls' on my favourite cartoon. They beat their enemy's butt and save the day."

"A superhero is far fetched... What about a dream more achievable on Earth?"

"I guess if I can't be a supernaturally powerful superhero... I guess I can be a powerful mage."

"Well, do you think the world's most powerful mages let anyone distract them from their craft?"

"I don't know." I shrug.

"It's lonely at the top of greatness and on the journey to it. There will be a time when you must choose solace and peace of mind over drama, others, and conflict. When you're presented with that always choose your greatness over the drama. And?"

"Don't trust any male?"

"Right. Now when you say you want to be a mage... Just promise Daddy you won't become a witch. They're bad because they curse people." My jaw dropped with terror painting my face.

"Curses like the ones the cartoon witches put on people?" He nodded.

"Yes."

"I won't become a witch. I will be a powerful mage." I smile then look at the other children playing on the slide and laughing amongst each other. Part of me wanted to go back to that group and have fun, but I had to follow my father's orders and be great.

"Good girl. Now go play on the swings away from those bad boys."

I pull myself out of the memory and realize my son saw it play on the hologram. "Mom, you don't trust me or dad?" He asks me with the back of his little head facing me.

"I don't know. I did make a promise to my father and that promise is clashing with what you ask me of now. I'm walking in a grey area on the matter. I can't promise you something that will clash with a promise I gave my father in the past." He sniffles and begins wailing. My body is thrown up to the ceiling and dragged to the upper corner of a wall. Levitating furniture move all over the room. "Calm down sweety. Stop doing this!" I yell.

His yells turn to screaming. A black portal appears on the wall with an electric blue spiral at its center sucking the furniture in its vortex. "I'm calling your father." I say to him.
I mentally call my husband. He appears beside my floating body defying the strong wind gusts.

"Why are you misbehaving with your mother?" My husband's booming thunderous voice asks our son.

"Mom promised her father to not trust us. That's why she won't defeat Cynthia to put our family back together!" So much for a private memory and remembering the good old days.

"Even if that's true... It doesn't give you the right to use your power over your Mother!" My husband spanks the wall with his hand and everything calms down. The black portal disappears and I slide down the wall to the carpet. "He is ready for training. I'll train him." My husband says and snaps his fingers. Our son levitates toward us. "Apologize to your mother." He says to our son as I stand on my feet.

"Sorry Mother for hurting you." He says while looking up at me and sniffling. My husband snaps his fingers again and our son disappears. I look up at my husband. His eyes seem sharp like razors. Their comforting reflective grey now light silver with a hint of red. "Ash, you don't want to fight for our family?" He asks and I cross my arms.

"Why would you care about me not fighting someone over you? You have your soulmate Cynthia, right?" I look up at him.

"Cynthia is pregnant and she's facing a lot of issues right now. I would like if you would show some compassion and don't bring her up in this conversation."

"She's the reason our son freaked out. He wanted me to fight her and win to bring our family together."

"Before she got pregnant, you had your chance to defeat her-"

"I'm not a wild animal! My father told me I couldn't trust guys. All you're doing is proving his point."

"Your father from your recent Earth life?" I nod my head.

"Yes."

"Did you know the witches you made a deal with cursed your father and caused him to die in that car crash?"

"Why would they do that?" Confusion plants itself on my face.

"Why wouldn't they? They use magic to find out things they shouldn't know. They knew our paths would cross and with your father's teachings... Him being around in your life too long would have pushed you far away from any romance with me, right?" He narrows his eyes at me and the red hue in his eyes grow bolder.

"Aldebaran I-"

"Don't call me that in this situation. My name in this situation is Jan'xu, to you."

"Jan'xu, it's not that I don't love you. You're a great father and a strong protective husband. It's just that I made promises that I need to keep."

"You need or you want to keep. Do what you want and work on those promises but don't come back to me until you've decided who is important to you. Maybe you should go back to that crescent island. Maybe it will make you stronger than the indecisive mess you are now." I gasp.

"I'm not indecisive for keeping my promises. I'm not indecisive for being loyal to my cause and I don't owe you or anyone else an explanation about it." He snaps his fingers and disappears as a small gust of wind makes my green dress dance.