Chapter 17: Tsunami

Seagulls squawk and my body sways in the warm breeze. I crack my eyes open. A crescent moon with hazy clouds surrounding it in a dark blue sky greets me. Two other grey fellows walk closely behind the one holding me like a handbag. They have similar facial features and those black eyes. My anger slowly builds back up but my body is too tired to act on it. Over the white sand, the waves crashing against the shore sound louder the closer we approach it. The overseer walks me into the sea with his brothers standing still witnessing it at the shoreline. I grunt and jostle a bit to no avail. I am taken further into the clear aquamarine depths until my breaths halt and blackness greets me again. What am I? My black hair reaches out like tentacles but has an inky dark appearance. I feel the hold on my dress set free as the inky darkness envelops me and seeps out of my pores.

Every liquidy black arm has sight and it can see clearly underwater even at night. It reaches for the retreating figure and drags him under the waves. He thrashes a bit and my main body swiftly zig-zags through the water to finish him. I peak up from the waves before him and place a hand on his grey face to calm him. I tilt my head to the side and smile before pulling him down deep into the depths with me. Black inky substance surrounds us until everything grows still. Traveling with no destination in mind through the deep blue sea.

There was somewhere I was supposed to go, right? Something I was supposed to do? I shrunk myself to a smaller inky substance and saw a huge Megalodon shark swim beneath me. Wow! He's magnificent. I should befriend that guy. I swim down and attach myself to his dorsal fin. Over time, I became a shadowy version of him and learned his language. I detach myself from him and swim before his eyes. After swimming around each other for some time we made a home in an sea trench. I lay some eggs and he fertilizes them. This is where I belong, but I have this feeling that I should go to the shore. It's been a while since I've went there. Why was I thrown into the sea again? There are so many questions I forgot the answer to, but I feel like I'll find the answers way up there. Beyond the deep blue, I know there's answers waiting for me at the shore. I just know it. I tell my Megalodon family that I am going up. My husband and two sons seem disinterested in the topic but support my aspirations. My daughter wants to tag along. I let her accompany me to the top waves and once we find our way back to the crescent island's shore we shift into inky black shadows of a mermaid then shift into a humanoid bird like appearance. I am green and she is dark grey. We have smooth huge wings that sit on our backs with talons for feet.

We fly to the big doors of the grey cement tower sitting in the middle of the tropical forest. I kick the doors in and they break off their handles. The overseer's brothers run down the stairs of the tower. All the cells unlock and open the bar doors. I release a deafening scream and the building shakes. The people in their cages quiver in fear and stay in the cages even though they have been set free. There's no time to focus on their reaction. I have to take out the overseer's brothers. I run towards them and they return the charge. When we clash, I throw one of them to the ground and my talon slits his throat. Yellow blood gushes out of the wound and he holds it. All this occurs while one of my massive wings holds back his brother's attack that comes off as him flailing against the pale wall. "You're a monster!" He whispers at me with a raspy voice. I snarl and then drag him outside of the facility.

I walk him through the forest to the ocean. "If I am a monster what are you..." I say to his corpse. Darn it he's dead! Where is that last brother? I have a speech for their haughty trash attitude towards me. I fly back near the tower. I walk up to the entrance and see my daughter digging her talon into the abdomen of the last brother. I gasp and stop walking forward. "Mother, why are you doing this? She- She killed Brother and ate him in the ocean. I saw it with my own eyes. She transformed into this thing. She- She's a dangerous monster." He says with a raspy voice as he holds onto her wrist. My daughter tilts her head and her white hair sways on her back.

"If you think what she is made of is a monstrosity, what do you think of my new avatar. This build is strong and you're too weak to understand that."

"But Mother-" She breaks her hand free of his grip and slaps him across the face.

"There is nothing wrong with danger as long as it's your weapon and under your control."

I slowly walk back to the shore. My Megalodon husband shifts to a humanoid form and walks, a few steps behind me, nude on the shoreline with his deep blue eyes watching me. His lean swimmer's build looks amazing in the sunset. I call on my wardrobe and turn away from him. He runs to me and grabs my arm. "Where are you going?" He asks. I shake my head and tears dance on the edge of my eyelids. I take a shaky deep breath.

"I'm going to try to fix whatever mess I made." I shake my head more.

"I don't understand." Confusion knits into his white eyebrows and a rogue warm breeze plays with the short, white wet strands sitting on his head.

"Do you think I'm a monster? Do you think I'm too wild?" I look at my hand on the wardrobe's golden handle then look back up at him.

"I don't think you're a monster. Being wild is a good thing. I'm wild too." I chuckle sourly and look back down.

"You're just saying that to make me feel better." He places a finger under my chin and lead me to look back up at him.

"Look. If you need to wander around a bit or whatever I won't stop you, but your family will always be waiting for your return. I will show up to any shore that your thoughts call me to. I will meet up with you over and over again. I'll do it forever if that's possible. I just want you to always come back to me because you're my home." He wraps me in a warm embrace and kisses me. Warm tears stream down my cheeks.