Chapter 23: Galactic Court

Twilight stares down at me with reaper garb on in the black expanse around us. "So this is how you've been blending in with my husband's troops. Where are we?" I ask. "We're traveling through my portal..." He says with a tight grip on my arm.

"Are you going to tell me where we are going?" I look up at him.

"You'll find out soon enough." I roll my eyes.

So much for me having time to mourn and remember fond memories of my dad. We arrive at a familiar crescent beach. My first husband drags my third husband out of the sea on to the sand in his megaladon form. My third husband shifts into his humanoid grey state. My first husband's eyes glow a fiery orange and my third husband turns to particles in his hand until a glowing grey orb was left in my first husband's hands. He swallows the orb and spits out a small piece of it into a black portal that appears before him. "What are you doing? What did you do to him?" I yell. I walk toward him. He looks down at me with eyes that reflect the blue sky around us. "Why? He was my sanctuary. He was my harbor. He was my home." I say and fall to my knees. I dig my hands into my hair. Where do I go now? What do I do? I hoped I could get it right this time with my third husband. I thought I could have something great all for myself in at least one dimension. All my life I only saw bad examples of love. They were always broken. When things didn't go perfectly for my first marriage, I went searching for a stable love. Stable love is perfection to me but perfection is just expectations on steroids. Of course I'm sad that I lost my stable husband. This sobering moment brings me to the grim reality of it all. Even when you feel you have someone, you only really ever have yourself.

My first husband kneels and hugs me. He is really warm. I shake my head and pull away. Love shouldn't be toxic. It shouldn't have to be like this. I need to make this right. What did my third husband say about the galactic counsel? I must remember. I pull away from my first husband and walk back to Twilight. "What are you doing, Ash? Where are you going?" He asks. I ignore him.

"I did what needed to be done for our family! I did what was best for us!" He stands to his feet with red glowing eyes. I shake my head.

"No, you did what was best for you. What did he ever do to you? He didn't seek you out and attack you?" He balls his hands into fists.

"He took my wife from me! You may not understand how this works. So, I will explain it to you. When we got married, you became an extension of me and I became an extension of you. If you're disrespected or attacked, then I have been disrespected or attacked. If anyone believes they can take you away from me, that's an attack on our family. If they marry and or mate with you they are effectively saying me and my clan are weak. I have shown you my past. You know I am trained to fight weakness from bringing ruination to my clan and my race." He slowly walks toward us and Twilight grabs my shoulder.

"You had two wives when I met him. You were preoccupied with Cynthia and now you want to punish me for choosing him, when you chose her over me. Disgusting and greedy behavior on your part. You're not the only male in existence looking for a wife. I was his only wife. Who you don't cherish? You'll eventually lose. Why waste anyone's energy? Go for what and who you want, right? Wasn't it you saying I should have high aspirations? Oh let me guess, that phrase doesn't work unless it's in your favor. Right? " I roll my eyes and he lunges at us. Before he can touch us we shoot into a black portal in the sky.

"Where should we go next? He's got our home dimension under the illusion of normalcy under his control. He's taken out all of your spouses in the other worlds and dimensions you exist on. Then replaced them with clones of himself. We can't stay out in the portal's vortex forever." Twilight says to me. I nod my head.

"My third husband said: when you are facing a fearsome foe like my first husband, you can seek help from a galactic counsel. Maybe if I get a divorce from him and they sanction it... Maybe everything will go back to normal." I say and shrug.

"I think I know how to contact them. Ms. Dean told me to visit this special court of elders if I get in trouble on my travels."

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

At the special court, the dark expanse with twinkling stars and different planets sit outside the massive windows. Tall beings of different races take their seat at the judges golden benches. "I'll speak to them. You just stand there." Twilight says. I nod.

"What is your business here, Earthlings?" A council judge says.

"My apprentice seeks to divorce her husband."

"Who is her husband?"

"A galactic warlord."

"A galactic warlord from..." He looks at me. I stand on my toes and lean on his shoulder. "Just tell them his name is Aldebaran. They should be able to find out who he is with that." I whisper in his ear and step back from him.

Twilight clears his throat. "My apprentice says his name is: Aldebaran." Whispers flood the room and then it goes abruptly silent.

"You said he's from a planet near Aldebaran?" A judge says. Twilight shakes his head.

"No, that is his name."

"Many galaxies have been warring with the legions that come from the stars and planets around Aldebaran but in recent eons we have stopped fighting. To clarify, all of their soldiers portal-ed elsewhere and left us back to our peace in our separate galaxies. I'm telling you both this to say we will not help you unless Aldebaran wants a divorce from your apprentice as well. It must be a mutual agreement."

"That's not fair!" I say and grab Twilight's arm. Twilight pets my hand.

"What does soldiers leaving battlefields have to do with my assistant's divorce?"

"That galaxy is known to destroy worlds, dimensions, and planets. You are telling us your apprentice married their massive Sun. The possible calamity to our races and worlds is not worth it for a lover's quarrel. Beings from that star system are known to immediately retaliate. We'll send an invitation to Aldebaran to appear and tell his side on the matter. How about this?" A judge asks. Twilight nods.

Within seconds, Aldebaran appears in court with a white bathrobe on. "Your wife seeks to divorce you. What do you have to say about this?" A judge asks him. He looks at me and Twilight with red glowing eyes from the other side of the room.

"I don't know why my wife wants to leave me and our family. We've gone through so much together. I don't see how someone can easily throw that away. Since she's come into my existence, I have been able to imagine and be at peace. There is a joy that only she can give me. I know that if you sanction this divorce and she is taken from me, I will feel a loss that will not ever be repaid or satiated. I've seen how I am without her: destructive. If I lose her, I would make sure all who helped me lose her will feel forever loss and pain. Do you all understand?" He keeps staring at me magenta briefly sweeps over his eyes and they turn a bloody crimson.

"For the safety of our worlds, we rule in favor of Aldebaran and we don't want to see this divorce brought before this court again." A judge says.

"What about our dimension? What about our world? His soldiers are there right now." Twilight says.

"I assure everyone here that we are not destroying and re-purposing the lives on any Earthly realm. We are just putting them in order by transferring them to their proper category on a dimensional scale based on their energy level. We're making sure the energies don't bleed out into each other like they did before we arrived on Earth. This blending of energies caused bullying among the locals of Earth." He closes his eyes and places his right hand over his chest.

"Your actions are approved by the galactic council, Aldebaran." The judge bangs the gavel and the room turns back to the black expanse. Twilight takes us back to our home dimension on Earth. We land in a suburban area. People stand with blank stares in the street and on the sidewalk looking at the sky.