Chapter 21: Your Everything

A mirage shows a single tower on the island. Once me and my sea husband go through, we see stone towers with megaphone shaped speakers attached to them. Beyond the connecting tower walls we hear people talking and laughing. There are no more prisoners. Instead the villagers trade and barter services. Tents and carts fill the town center of the island. I'm happy the people aren't imprisoned anymore. We walk to a big house at the edge of the island. Guards in regal clothing equipped with swords stop us before we could approach the tall wooden gate surrounding the house. "We can't allow you to step any further. You need paperwork showing you are invited or belong at this residence." One guard says.

I nod my head at him and hold my husband's arm tighter. "How can we speak to Mother?" I ask.

"You'll need an invitation. If you don't have one, go back to the town." I shift form and quickly stab both of them in the chest with my phantom arms. They grab their bleeding chests and faint. We put on their jackets and take their weapons. We get past the gate and walk up the front porch steps. When we get to the door, our daughter swings the door open. I shift back into my winged siren form. "Mom and Dad? What are you doing here?" She asks.

"Sweety, you're in danger. My first husband wants to hunt down you and your brothers. I want you to be safe. So stay aware of everything around you at all times." I say.

"I've got this Mom. You don't have to worry. Look, I have some chefs making dinner. Why don't you and Dad join us?"

"Join you and who?"

"My team." I furrow my brow and my husband squeezes my shoulders as he walks us past the threshold. At the table, heavily armored males of varying races stand against the wall of the room. Fellows with red cloaks stand near the seats of the table. Three seats are empty on one end of the table. Once my daughter takes her seat, the cloaked guys follow. Me and my husband slowly settle into our seats. We clear our throats. "Who are all these guys to you?" I ask my daughter.

"The guys on the wall are guards and henchmen. The guys at the table are my loyal followers. I call them all: Brother."

"Why? They aren't your brothers?" My husband says. I look at the storm clouds forming outside through the windows. Thunder rumbles through the sky.

"Dad it's just a title that I have assigned to them. Don't think too much about it." She says with a smile and shrugs. A guy in chef attire places our plates down on the table with mystery meat on it. "What is this? Does this even qualify as food? It has no smell." I say. I pick up the fork and rake it across the dark chunk of meat and the light chunk beside it. It is dry and does not jiggle. I frown and look at my daughter. "Mom, if you don't want to eat it you don't have to eat it. It wouldn't do much to you and Dad anyway..." She says. I tilt my head to the side and look at her quizzically.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Oh my gosh, Mom it is just my skin cells duplicated from one of our labs and preserved in plastic. This is my way of sharing my energy to my close followers. The outsiders get a mixture of this, poison and other meats to keep them weak. Also, it keeps them under my control." My jaw briefly drops at my daughter's insane explanation.

"While you're doing this to these people a war is at your door?"

"A war? Mom, your rogue first husband does not scare me. I'm actually quite comfortable with the idea of him coming here to meet our family. Why are you so worried?" She briefly narrows her eyes at me.

"Don't underestimate him. He's stronger than you can imagine. If he comes, I think it's best if you all hide. That includes your actual brothers as well." She chuckles.

"You want me to hide or runaway from a fight like some coward? Mom! Look at me! I'm powerful. All of these people are under my control. They would sacrifice their lives for me. I have an army and besides that I have supernatural powers. I am not like you, Mom. I won't run from him." She stands up and walks down a nearby hallway. I look at her father and he stands up from the table. He follows her down the hall. I walk past the living room to the big back porch. A wind gust twirls around me. I look up at the sky and a big black portal appears above me. The pale lady that hid from the old man with many wives drops out of it to the ground in a crouching position.