Chapter 22: Not What it Seems

My phone alarm rings. I crawl out of Aldebaran's arms and stumble out of the bed. My eyes are halfway open. I walk to the kitchen and when I reach for my phone the alarm turns off before I even touch it. I rub my eyes and look around me. Am I imagining things? "Ash!" A loud whisper says by my ear, but I do not see who the voice belongs to. "It's Twilight. Your galactic warlord husband has put everyone under a trance. There's this illusion he is using to hide the carnage." Twilight whispers.

"What carnage? How bad is it?" I look around and whisper.

"I told you to stay away from him. Did you give him back what you took?"

"No, I just told him where it is." I shrug.

"Well, so much for us using that as a bargaining chip to get him and his army off the planet. Good job Ash." I sigh.

"What else should we do?" My thumb nervously plays with my lower lip.

"What can we do? I can only try to fix the mess you made because you can't control your powers." I gasp.

"I've gotten some training on it in different dimensions..." I stomp my foot and ball my fists.

"So they taught you how to properly teleport between realms without leaving portals open?" I loosen my fists and drop my jaw.

"No... Kind of- Does my husband giving me a portal wardrobe count?" I smile.

"He didn't give you a wardrobe. He gave you a shortcut that he also has access to. It's a wormhole to other dimensions you already existed in."

"I don't regret what I have done. He helped me get stronger along with all the experience I got from this journey." Twilight chuckles.

"He didn't make you stronger he just unlocked your access to your full interdimensional power." My blinking slows momentarily as I look at the ceiling dumbfounded.

"That's still some sort of upgrade." I shrug.

"At what price Ash? You could've learned this over years as my disciple and through meditation." I furrow my brow.

"You're just jealous that I have access to all of my potential power now." I grin.

"Jealous? You're untrained wielding a lot of power. You're like a volatile missile sitting in the artillery shed. Without proper training do you know how many people you can kill accidentally? Do you care?" I roll my eyes. He is such a nag. Why do I have to worry about everyone's well-being? I'm just one person. Most people around me didn't care about me and what I was going through when my father died. I was not even granted time alone. I was bullied by my peers and adults alike during that time.

"Just because I'm powerful, doesn't mean I don't care and I'm not going back to the way things used to be. I like my powers, and I like having them equipped." I cross my arms.

"We don't have time to argue. Your galactic warlord is killing people as we speak."

"If I can't see it, how can I do anything about it?" I wave my hands in the air.

Aldebaran walks into the kitchen. He scratches the top of his head and yawns. "Who are you whispering to in here?" He says. I shrug and laugh nervously.

He walks to the kitchen window and violently whips the curtains open. "Ash, you wouldn't keep secrets from me, right?" I laugh nervously again.

"As long as you don't keep secrets from me. You know how Earth goes. You get what you give because balance must always be maintained on this neutral planet."

"Is that so?" I stare at his broad shoulders. Then clear my throat.

"Yes. My mom wanted to know if you'd accompany me to my father's grave. I know this may bring up some bitter memories from our past. If you choose to not go, I'd understand." I shrug.