Chapter 10: Deep Desire

Cytoplasm is the goo that surrounds every nucleus in every cell. That is what I am in every plant I inhabit. I like to call it: life force. Rain feeds my Manchurian ash tree leaves and roots but a nearby river keeps me fed most of the time when I need water. The sunny days help me boost my energy. A woodlands far away from societies and people is not too bad. It is actually really calming and comforting.

I hear laughter coming from nearby. Green phantoms pull themselves out of the trunks of trees as dusk approaches. One approaches me and digs their translucent hand into my tree trunk, grabs my shoulder and pulls me out of the ash tree. We play tag, hum, sing and dance around.

Dancing in a forest with other phantoms feels comforting like I have finally found a tribe like myself. A place to call home? Well, it feels something close to that. Similar beings to me who care and support each other. It makes me feel like: why can't I get this feeling everywhere I go?

Of course, I can't get this feeling anywhere but where those who behave and think similar to me are. Have you ever played tag and the game not turn into an aggressive mess full of frustrated angry players? I haven't until now and I feel so free to be surrounded by those that think like me.

People say opposing sides attract less boredom but I like the in between. What sits between lull and excitement? What is between war and repel? Fun.

My husband comes to visit me and my phantom friends in our time of play. "I'm glad you've made friends. It's time to move you now. " He says.

"I don't want to go." I look down and furrow my brows.

"Ash, I'd let you stay if I could but..."

"It feels like I'm forced to leave my comfort zone every time I get used to something, somewhere, or someone. Why can't I enjoy the luxuries I have? Why can't I bask in it?" I lost my father and I wasn't ready for that back then. I don't think I would be ever ready for that. I love both of my parents and letting go is so hard. My translucent form drops to my knees then to the dirt beneath me. Phantom tears sketch streams down my cheeks then drop to the ground.

"...because I have to keep you out of the witches hands. If you stay anywhere too long, they will find you and they can take you far away from me..."

"Why do you care about a wife that's in name only? It's not like there is something more to our relationship than titles. " He sighs.

"What do you want me to do? Impregnate you to convince you that I  care deeply about our relationship?"

"Don't do anything you don't want to do for my sake. I don't care if you don't care." He digs a hand through his hair.

"I told you that I don't want you to get hurt but if you must experience it to believe it..." I wipe my tears with the back of my hand and give a dry laugh.

"You've given me many destroyed sisterwives and now you want to copulate with me? Tsk! Tsk!" I wave my index finger at him. He cocks an eyebrow and chuckles.

"So, you want a dead second husband?"

"I don't know about the dead part but... I do deserve to get at least one other husband before we copulate. That is only fair."

"Fine. You get another husband and I'll destroy him. Then we will copulate." I gasp and stand up. Then I cross my arms over my thin green dress.

"Why do you have to destroy him?"

"It's only fair, right?" I roll my eyes and look away from him.

"Whatever."

"Let's go."  Surprise settles on my face and I slowly approach him. I rub his lean muscular arm through his robe and smile up at him.

"Actually, I'd like to stay one more day. I know you can cover me for an extra day. Right honey? Don't you want a happy wife?"

"Will it make you stop asking for a second husband?" He narrows his eyes down at me.

"Maybe?"

"Okay. I'll come back tomorrow." I nod my head at him and give him a moderately tight hug. He grabs my face with his hand.

"Everything is not as it seems. My calm expression belies my care for you." He says then kisses my forehead. That was a nice gesture. I didn't expect that from him. He walks into his portal and it disappears. What is this slight heavy pull I feel in my chest now that his presence is gone? I'm not going to focus on it.

Late at night, we all quit our giggling and banter then shuffle back into our treehouses. A grey fog sweeps over our roots and the long haired ladies that appeared on the farm appear again. They hover over the fog and look at me through their long strands. Their gnarled nails sitting on thin hands pointing  their fingers at me.

The full moon's light shines between the leaves of all of my new friends who are relaxing in their dreams. "You deserve an upgrade. You deserve more. Why be a wallflower when you can be a Venus Flytrap?" One of the haunted looking ladies says with a raspy voice.

"Being a tree isn't that bad. I quite like where I'm at."

"But you won't be able to stay here long. You can't stay anywhere long. Whose fault is that? Don't you want to change your fate? Instead of being at the whim of someone powerful... Why not be powerful yourself?" I sigh and my branches sway a bit.

"What can you offer me? You seem like you aren't strong enough to handle the problems you currently have?"

"Yes, you're right. Without our leader, Mother, we are not as powerful as we could be. As we should be."

" I guess you should go find her."

"We have found her but we need you to release her."

"How can I release your Mother?"

"By marrying Brother."

"If I marry your brother, I'll  be part of your witchy family but what's in it for me?"

"Once you marry and breed with Brother, Mother will amplify your phantom power. Aren't you tired of traveling and not finding a group to travel with you and believe what you believe in? If you like to travel a lot, why not take the feeling of togetherness and belonging with you? Why not always have your tribe with you? Doesn't it all seem so lonely without a group of comrades you can be yourself around? Don't you want to open up and trust someone?"

"What are you reading? My mind? You think you know what I desire?"

"Am I wrong?" Their hands drop to their sides.

"Brother is not litterrally our brother. That's his title name in our group. The same goes for Mother's title.'

"Okay. How can I marry your Brother? It's not like I have a portal or something..."