Four

Trepidation

"Has she woken up yet?"

"No, she hasn't. I said I'd call you when she did. Go get ready for school!"

"But I don't want to go!"

"Just leave, please! She needs rest."

The sound of loud bickering coerced Ezra into consciousness. So much for rest. Her eyelids felt heavy and her head throbbed while her body ached heavily. She blinked, looking up at white ceiling when she felt something heavy on her hand as she tried to lift it to rub her eyes. She looked down to see a cast, the names of her friends scribbled messily all over it. Perhaps she did break her hand during the fall.

"Ezra!" She was suddenly held into someone's tight embrace, their grip tightening as if they were scared she'd disappear if they were to let go. From his sobs and the smell of his cologne Ezra knew who it was immediately. She leaned into the hug, allowing herself to feel safe in his arms as tears slid down her cheeks.

"It hurts." She said eventually, weakly tapping his back causing him to finally let go. Sonny's young eyes stared back at her despairingly, biting his lip as he recalled the way he had found her last night, laying on the floor in the middle of the night, looking almost dead.

"Sonny get the door!" John had yelled from upstairs, and the youngster rolled his eyes, grumbling about how he had to do everything in the house.

"Hello?" He called into the darkness once he opened the door and saw there was no one. Rain poured down from the sky and he stretched out his hand, taking a step forward when he stumbled over an object. He looked down and his eyes widened, letting out a loud yell upon the sight of Ezra, hands trembling as he shook her to see if she was alive.

"Sonny?" Ezra brought him out of the awful memory and he gave her a small smile. Ian, being a medical student as well, was able to act quick and give her the care she needed without having to go to the hospital, which they all knew she would've hated. "Don't you have school now?"

"Yeah but how can I go whe-"

"You're going Sonny." Ian interrupted, giving him a stern look.

"Dad's spoken." Ezra joked, earning a groan from both men.

"Alright, alright I'm going." The teenager grumbled, he gave Ezra another worrying stare which she returned with a reassuring smile before leaving the room. Ian closed the door as soon as he left before sitting next to her on the bed.

"What the fuck happened to you last night? We had just left the library together and then- I should've taken you home." He shook his head, mentally chastising himself and Ezra hated to see it.

"No, Ian. It had nothing to do with you, I've being going home alone since I was twelve and no one can control or predict future events so don't try to bear that responsibility." She grabbed his hand reassuringly when the door burst open and Theo rushed in, he was wearing a suite and his work badge hung loosely around his neck.

"Are you alright?" He let out breathless and Ezra nodded, he sighed in relief. Arms on his waist and he hung his head back while trying to regain his breath. " What happened?" He asked, after sitting down at the foot of the bed, Ian looking at her, wanting the answer as well.

"I- uhm, I basically uhm," Ezra didn't know how to put into words what had happened last night, it was something so crazy and traumatizing she could hardly make out if it actually happened at all. She wondered if it was even a good idea, telling Ian, knowing how hot-tempered he was. But at least, Kian and John weren't here, she knew that those two would have marched her to a police station immediately. "I was walking home from the library when I saw a fire in the distance. I ran towards it, ready to call the fire brigade as well as help anyone that needed it when I saw these two men carrying what seemed like a body. One of them chased after me and he-" Ezra hesitated, her stomach turning with anxiety, she was only realising now just how terrifying that moment was. Just how sure and afraid she was that she was going to die.