Twenty

The hint 

I'm sorry.

Ezra bit into her fingernail nervously as she looked ahead of her, eyes absent and mind in turmoil.

I'm sorry.

The words echoed in her head like a growing headache that refused to be soothed.

I'm sorry.

She continued to bite on her finger; trying to reason, attempting to understand. Sorry? Sorry? It was odd, the words seemed sincere however, precisely that was what was bothering her. Not just bothering, it vexed her beyond belief. I mean after all he had put her through, after what he had just made her do, he had the audacity to say he was sorry?

"Ezra!" She hissed in pain, looking down at her finger that was bleeding before looking back up to see Rose standing at her bedroom door, now in her usual maid's outfit. Her bedroom door. The statement alone made her want to pull out her hair and jump out the window, she had been here for too long. She looked at Rose again, just now remembering that she wasn't with them in the car on the way back to the house.

"When did you leave yesterday? Where did you go to?" She asked with suspicion and evident disdain in her voice, she needed someone to hate for what had happened, someone who she could inflict the same pain she was feeling. Yong was pretty much untouchable, leaving Rose as her only target, and in Ezra's eyes, she was Yong's accomplice in any case.

"I went home, he gave me the rest of the day off and there was bus that could bring me directly home." Rose responded and Ezra scoffed before getting up. Her eyes were still red and swollen from all the crying she had done, the hoarseness of her voice was matching evidence.

"Ah, you went home." She mocked, standing opposite the middle aged woman with crossed arms. "It must be nice, getting to go home, continuing with your evening as if nothing happened, as if everything is alright. I wonder, how do you sleep at night, knowing you work for a cold-blooded killer, knowing that you aiding and abetting in crimes such as kidnappin-"

"People like you make me sick." Rose interrupted, lifting her head to meet Ezra in the eye.

"People like me?"

"Yes, people like you. People who sit and victimize themselves and act like the world is out to get them." She took an intimidating step towards Ezra, eyes narrowed into a glare. "The entitlment you have is disgusting, thinking we all owe you some sort of special treatment. You are nothing, you mean nothing to me and I don't owe you anthing." She grabbed the collar of Ezra's shirt, "Remember that." She seethed.

There was silence for a second before Ezra grabbed Rose's hand, she tightened her grip around it, forcing her to let go of the shirt, however, even after she let go Ezra kept her hold on her hand.

"I witnessed someone got murdered, then, I was chased, I was shot at like an animal, like I was some prey being hunted. I fought like my life depended on it, because it did. I jumped out of a moving car and ran like my life depended on it, because it did. I did everything humanly possible to ensure I wouldn't be in this situation but you know what ended up getting me here?" Her grip tightened with each word and Rose winced backing down slightly. "He threatened a teenager, he threatened to harm a literal minor that has absolutely nothing to do with this. So yes, yes I'm victimizing myself, yes I think the world is out to get me because it is. Staying here means my death, being out there means my death or the death of my loved ones all because one selfish son of a bitch says so. None of this is normal, none of this should happen to any human being. So no, I'm not asking for a special treatment, I'm asking for basic human rights, my rights to do whatever the fuck I want. So yeah Rose I'm upset, yes I'm a fucking victim." She spat angrily before letting go of her hand. "The fact that you think this all normal and I'm apparently being entitled tells me you're no better than them, you're practically a killer too. " With that she turned around and went back to sit on the bed, noticing from the corner of her eyes that Rose still hadn't left. Her face was pale, Ezra's words having affected more than she'd have anticipated.