Seventeen

The Conversation 

Yong stood at the threshold of Noah's front door, his expression stoic combined with a heart heavy with regret. He hesitated for a moment, his hand hovering in the air before finally rapping on the door.

The door creaked open, revealing a battered and bruised Noah. His face was marked with the remnants of their violent clash, a vivid reminder of their fractured friendship. Noah sighed slightly, a soft smile on his lips, one that attempted to hide a painful grimace, as he assessed Yong's demeanor, his instincts telling him that he wasn't just here to visit, he felt guitly but didn't know what to do about it.

"Hey," Noah greeted, his voice tinged with pain as his body ached with every movement. "Come in."

Yong said nothing as he stepped into Noah's home, his eyes lingering for a moment on his injuries before shifting his gaze to the room. He remembered the last time he was here, it felt like years ago and so much had changed since then. He recalled the way they had been fooling around, getting drunk and causing a ruckus together mere weeks ago and now, Yong stole another glance at his friend's broken arm and shook his head. What had happened between them seemed like a distant memory, the odd calmness between them starkly contrasting the emotional turmoil that had torn them apart nights ago.

Noah headed towards the kitchen while Yong stood in the centre of the living room awkwardly, this wasn't like them at all. The scent of coffee permeated the air, a comforting aroma amidst the broken pieces of their relationship. "Yong, sit." Noah said in slight disbelief when he come out of the kitchen with two mugs only to see his friend still standing there. He watched as Yong gave a curt nod, sitting on the edge of the couch as if he wanted to be anywhere but here. Noah sighed, he would be the one to pick up those broken pieces.

They settled onto the couch, the tension between them palpable. Yong's eyes flickered around the room, avoiding Noah's gaze as he struggled to find the right words. This was so unlike him; never one to be awkward, never one to regret and never one to feel. Noah's gaze bore into him, searching for the cracks in his icy facade. Don't get him wrong, he was bitter, he was as bitter as anyone at the idea that Yong thought what he did was a betrayal and that he felt the need to abuse him for it. However, he knew the world they lived in, he knew the stakes that were in the actions and decisions he made and he very well knew what the outcome of helping Ezra would be. He made that choice by himself.

"You didn't have to come," He finally broke the silence, his voice heavy with a mix of exhaustion and a quiet longing for understanding. "After everything..."

Yong's gaze shifted briefly to the bandages adorning Noah's face, a subtle reminder of the pain he had inflicted. His voice remained detached, devoid of visible remorse. "I wanted to make sure you were still alive."

Noah's brow furrowed, a mix of confusion and hurt flickering across his face. He brushed the emotion aside, it was foolish to expect an apology. Yong being here, was on its own an apology. They sipped on their beverages, Noah deciding to choose this rare moment of quiet between them to get answers. He pushed forward, determined to unravel the enigma before him. "Why didn't you kill her?"

Yong's eyes snapped to Noah's, surprise evident for a fleeting moment before his face settled back into its usual impassivity. "Why would I?" he replied, his voice laced with a chilly indifference.

Noah leaned back against the couch, deciding that now was only the time he could get Yong to speak and relay his thoughts. He'd use his guilt to his advantage. "Why would you? Well let's see, she witnessed something she shouldn't have and you know what has to happen if something like that occurs. There are rules."

"She's under my roof, she can't say anything to anyone even if she wanted to."

"Alright, but what about the fact that Julian directly ordered you to get rid of her?Again, rules are rules."

Yong hesitated, the edge of the mug on his lips as he tried not to let his hesitation show.

"You've always been ruthless. Always been able to do what needs to be done without hesitation. This isn't like you at all. Ezra is a liability, her presence goes against everything you stand for so why spare her?" Noah didn't want Ezra dead, in fact he wanted her safe and alive more than anyone. He had been very vocal from the beginning that her kidnapping and subsequent imprisonment was wrong, not that killing her was any better, and hoped he could help pave the way to the girl's freedom. However there was a specific answer he wanted to get from Yong today. An answer that would make sense to all this confusion and disclarity. And perhaps, perhaps it might help Yong find the human within him that he had abandoned all those years ago.

A flicker of emotion passed through Yong's eyes, too quick for Noah to decipher. "You think I have feelings for her, don't you?" he asked, a tinge of mockery coloring his words.

Noah tilted his head, his gaze unwavering. "Well, do you?"

Yong's façade cracked for a brief moment, a hint of vulnerability peeking through before he swiftly masked it again. "Feelings have never been my forte, too complicated and they only scatter the natural order of things. Besides, with the work we do and the crimes we have committed, feelings are a luxury we don't deserve." He replied, his voice low and distant.

Noah looked away at that, taking another sip of his coffee. He had never thought about it like that and too be honest, it gave a glimpse into the complex workings of Yong's mind. He had never really thought about the depths of Yong's characters, assuming he only acted to abide by the rules.

"Then what is about her that stops you from being, well, you?"

Yong let out a small scoff before shaking his head, "The only thing I feel is intrigue, she intrigues me and I want to explore this intrigue before I decide to do anything. Besides, I'm sick and tired of Julian and her orders, why does Ezra have to die because she's feeling insecure? We don't even know if Ezra actually saw anything worth killing her."

"Yong, we've killed men for far less. So thi-"

"You do realise Julian is having us followed right? How else would she have know about Ezra to begin with? I don't like that, if she can't trust us to do the job then she shouldn't give us the job. I don't like being controlled, Noah, you know that. "

"So this is about Julian?" Noah relented.

"Yes."

Noah sighed, it wasn't, they both knew that. If Yong wanted to protest then there were multiple, more efficient ways to do so. However, Noah knew he wasn't going to get the answer what he wanted to hear and his injuries were starting to ache again. If he wanted to make this about Julian, then sure, this story would be one of taking back control and independence.

"Well what about us?"

Yong glanced at Noah with a frown on his face. "What about us?"

"Do you want me to get back to work?"

"Don't be ridiculous Noah, you got your punishment and that's the end of it. Don't use this as an excuse to slack off. Besides, someone needs to help keep Tatum and Hendrix in check." Noah let out a laugh and Yong allowed himself to grin before getting up, sending him a small wave as he headed towards the door. But just before he could leave he turned to face Noah again.

"I want you to stay away from her."

Noah pursed his lips and took a deep breath before saying. "You know that I won't be able to do that, sorry. Someone needs to be on her side."

Yong gave no response, silenty turning around to leave the door slamming shut behind him.

A/N: Finally another chapter!!! I'm so sorry for the late update I was feeling demotivated haha but I hope to get back to it now!