Ten

Anguish

The ceiling had never looked as interesting as it did in that moment, she wondered how the first ever ceiling was made, who had decided that the inside of a roof should look pretty? Her mind whirled with aimless thoughts, intended to distract her of the reality of her situation. Ultimately they were useless, the ceiling wasn't hers but her captors, this wasn't her room but a prison. As if on cue, the door opened and in walked the man who had done this to her. She sat up in the bed and remained silent as he opened a bag and dropped its contents on the bed. Ezra looked at the objects; most of it were the things that were in her bag the day they first met, her books, notes and Ipad which she was grateful to have back as it had cost her a fortune. The odd addition was the brand new laptop that was still in its box. She looked up at him, what was this?

"You'll be starting school again next week." Yong said casually, face unreadable as always. School? Ezra's eyes lit up with excitment. "Online." He added and her face fell.

"How's that even possible? I'm a medical student, it's literally impossible for me to do my classes online.It's not even allowed." She argued back and he shrugged.

"Well, after a substantial donation and a brief conversation with the Dean, I've learned that online tuition is indeed possible."

"What about my practical classes? Clinical skills? Simulated consultations? I can't do all of those online." She questioned desperately, hoping he'd realise that it would be so much easier to just let her go to school herself than arrange all these alternatives.

"You'll them have here."

"What?"

"You'll see." Yong dismissed, looking down at his watch. "The boys are going to be here for some meetings for most of the day, I'll be busy." There was something about the way he was speaking to her, it didn't feel like he was informing her, more like he was warning her. Don't do anything stupid.

She glanced briefly at her Ipad and the brand new laptop, perhaps she could co-

"Don't even bother." He laughed, bringing Ezra's attention back to him, "I'll be able to see whatever you do on there. Ezra, darling, use them to study and be a good student, doctor or whatever it is you do." She glared as he turned around to walk out the room. She despised the sense of familiarity that came with him calling her name, as if this was all normal. It wasn't, and she wouldn't allow it to be. She looked back at the things he left on her bed, a frown forming on her face as she fell deep into thought. Why would he make all this effort to ensure she was able to still go to school and keep up with her studies? What was the point? Yong's actions had left her more than confused but a hopeful smile still found its way to her lips. Surely this had to mean that at some point he was planning on letting her go. Why else would he bother? Delusion or not, Ezra decided to cling onto this reasoning, taking no time to unbox the laptop and arrange her notes.

Yong stared back at the closed door, hesitating slighty before turning the knob and locking it. He turned back to look at Rose, who bowed in obedience, knowing what he wanted without the words having to be said. Watch her.

"Sir, Mr Park is here to see you." She announced as she followed behind Yong who had started walking towards his office, as if on cue Jian stepped in front of his path.

"Mr Park." He laughed with his hands in his pockets. "Since when does my presence need to be announced, I thought we were friends." Yong narrowed his eyes at him and nodded towards the office. Jian closed the door behind him as Yong went to the bar and poured them both a glass of bourbon.

"What do you want?" He asked, handing Jian the glass before sitting opposite him. Jian scoffed before taking a sip of his drink;

"What? Since when am I not allowed to come see you. It's not like we haven't been friends for more than fourteen years."