no pogue on pogue macking

My feet smacked the asphalt with every stride I took, pushing my body to run faster and faster, begging to put distance between me and the black truck.

I slipped down an alleyway and fell against the brick building, watching as the truck drove by slowly, not even seeing me. "Dammit." I groaned, holding my arm in pain. Blood seeped through the fabric of my sweatshirt and I applied more pressure. It wasn't a horrible cut, superficial, it was more of an annoying pain than anything.

Once I felt as though the black truck was far enough away I took of towards home. The whole way there I was checking over my shoulder, paranoid the truck would show back up for round two. Whoever the men were, they knew me and my last name.

Routledge.

I wonder if these were the same guys that chased my brother into an electric fence. The truck matched the description, perhaps they were trying to take my family down one by one.

"John B!?" I yelled out once I got to the chateau, "JB!?" Silence.

"He's not here," JJ mumbled from the couch, "I'm trying to sleep so shut up."

"Well where the hell is he?" I asked frantically, smacking his shoulder to get him to wake up.

"Bro!" He exaggerated and smacked my hand away but I didn't care and did it again, "He's with Sarah or some shit, go to bed, you're annoying."

"It's my house." I argued. Watching as his eyes pried open he looked up at me. His blue eyes widening when he saw blood dripping down my arm, "Had a little run in on my way home."

"You look like shit." He stated, "You okay? What happened?" It was strange JJ was asking so many questions. I expected him to brush it off like it was nothing and go back to sleep, but here he was. Sitting straight up reaching for my arm to examine the cut.

"Two douchebags in a black truck happened, I don't think I've ran so fast in my entire life." I explained as he lifted my sleeve, "I think they want the compass."

"Why would they think you had it?" He asked, struggling to pull my sweatshirt sleeve high enough to see the wound, "Slip your arm out of your sleeve."

"I don't know, JJ." I responded sharply, sighing and slipping my arm out of the sleeve. He cleared his throat when he realized I didn't have a shirt on underneath, "What?"

"You don't wear anything under your sweatshirts?" He asked, cheeks becoming a shade of red as he looked down the hall, "It's too dark in here, c'mon." His hand lightly grabbed my wrist and pulled me down the hall, patting the countertop and gesturing for me to sit.

I followed his direction as he rummaged through the cabinets until he found what he needed, "It's not that deep, does it hurt?"

"Ow!" I smacked his hand, "When you push on it, yeah! Asshole." Pulling my arm away I jumped off the counter and snatched the cleaning alcohol from his hands, using it to clean my own arm in the mirror.

His face fell, "Do you really think I'm an asshole?"

"Uh, yeah." I stated very matter-of-factly, "You're always such a dick to me and for what? I've always had your back, JJ and what do I get in return? Treated like shit." I explained through the pain. As I spoke he grabbed a bandage from the counter and wrapped his fingers around my arm, taking over and applying it over the cut.

"I have to be." He said sharply. My brows furrowed as I looked up at him, his eyes were fixated on my arm, not daring to look at me directly.

"Why?" I asked. JJ and I used to be the best of friends, we met in third grade when I asked if he wanted to go fishing with me and my dad. Then we got older, once we hit thirteen he started pushing me away, I couldn't ever get him to hangout with me.

"You're John B's little sister." He began, "I'm kind of the reason your brother made the 'no pogue on pogue macking' rule.."

"What? No—"

"Yes, Y/n, I am." He sighed. As he spoke I hopped back onto the counter as he sat on the side of the tub, my feet sat on the closed toilet lid as we talked, "I'm a dick to you because it's easier that way."

"What happened to the old JJ? The one who would go fishing with me, swing on the hammocks and watch the stars? Remember that?" I questioned, my voice falling soft, "My dad used to get so mad when he found us sleeping outside...we were best friends..."

"We still are." He stood up, "I make sure you're safe, stay awake until I know you're sleeping, why do you think I'm always here?"

"Your dad." I responded, which was true. JJ was here all the time to avoid his piece of shit father and I honestly didn't blame him.

"That's part of it, yeah," He paused and instead of continuing he walked out of the bathroom. I quickly slipped my arm back in the sleeve and followed behind him.

"What's the other part?" I stopped him in the kitchen, standing in the middle of the room as he rested his hands on the kitchen counter, "You said it was only part of the reason you're always here."

"No pogue on pogue macking." JJ whispered to himself, as if it was a reminder.

"Fuck my brothers stupid rule, JJ, what does that have to do with this? With why you'll watch me like a body guard but won't look at me for more than two seconds!?" I raised my voice, getting annoyed he wouldn't just tell me.

"It has everything to do with it!" He yelled back, spinning around and clenching his fist at his side, "Because whenever I look at you all I want to do is kiss you. Every time I look at you I'm reminded I can't have you."

My jaw fell slightly open, not sure what to say, "I'm right here, you've got me."

"You know that's not what I mean," He slowly walked his way to me, now only a mere six inches separate our chests, "I can't have you the way I want you."

"Shut the fuck up and kiss me, JJ." I pleaded, watching as his lips curled into a smile. In one quick motion he placed both hands on either side of my face, connecting our lips.

We moved in sync as he pushed my back against the fridge, letting one of his hands travel to my waist, giving it a gentle squeeze. My hands combed through his blonde hair and he slipped his hand behind my thigh, so I jumped, being caught by his arm.

"Hey! No macking on my sister, JJ!" We heard my brothers voice yell behind us. We parted but we stayed in the same position. I shyly peaked around JJ's head to see my brother in the doorway next to Sarah, "One rule dude, one rule."

"Fuck..." JJ groaned, leaning his head against my shoulder in defeat, "Yeah, well, I broke the rule, sue me."

"You owe me ten bucks." Sarah playfully bumped her shoulder into John B's. I gave them a surprised look and jumped out of JJ's arms.

"You two placed bets!?" I laughed, leaning onto the counter as JJ came up behind me, he placed both arms around me as his hands rested on the counter.

"I kept telling your brother I knew something was up." Sarah raised her eyebrows and John B had a look of defeat in his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah." My brother groaned, "Just don't do it in front of me."

"So you're not mad?" I asked, feeling JJ's chest press against my back.

"No, I can't really tell you what to do. But JJ—"

"I know, John B, break her heart you'll break my—"

"No, I'll throw your body in the marsh." He cut him off. JJ stiffened behind me and I laughed at my brother as he tried to act intimidating.

"Still wanna mack on me?" I snickered and spun around so we were not facing one another.

"Hell yeah," He licked his lips and placed a quick kiss into mine, "Just not in front of your brother."

I grabbed his hand and pulled him down the hallway towards my room, "Don't have too much fun you two!" Sarah yelled with a laugh, causing my brother to fake gag.

With my door shut and locked JJ and I were now at peace to break the no pogue on pogue macking rule all night long.
_____________

:)