surfing

this was a request <3

surfing: in which y/n gets overly confident and finds herself in a sticky situation
———
JJ's pov
———

"Why don't you call the girls and see if they wanna go surfing?" John B asked, "Sarah is on her way here now, I know she wants to go." With the heat making my clothes stick to my body I was quick to jump on board, I also wanted to see Y/n. Recently she's been busy at home and helping Kie at The Wreck so we haven't been able to hang out much which sucks, but I understand she gets busy sometimes.

"Aye, aye captain," I saluted him and slipped my phone out of my pocket, going straight to her contact. She thought her name in my phone was the cheesiest thing ever but I adored it, 'Future Maybank', it wasn't just a cute little nickname, it was a promise. I held the phone to my ear and heard it ring a few times, "She might be busy."

Right when I was going to end the call I heard her sweet voice, "Hi, baby, sorry I was helping my dad outside."

"It's okay," I assured and sat up in my spot on the couch, "We're planning on going surfing today and I want you to come if you're not busy."

"J, you know I'm no good at surfing," She sighed. Y/n somehow went her entire life in the OBX not knowing how to surf, that was until a few weeks ago when I began teaching her.

"I'll help you, you're getting a lot better, you gotta stick with it." I persisted, I really didn't want her to give up on it since I know she genuinely enjoys being in the water. The ocean was her happy place, the sounds of the waves were what she claimed 'free therapy' was.

"Promise you'll help?" It's like I could hear the puppy dog eyes in her voice and found my lips tugging into a smile picturing it. I loved the way she asked me to make the littlest promises, last week she made me promise to wait for her outside the bathroom at the store. The week before I promised her I wouldn't leave her house after she fell asleep, I never did and never planned on it but sometimes she just needed me to promise. So I did. Every time.

"I promise." I answered. John B looked at me and held his hand up, switching between a thumbs up and thumbs down with a questioning look on his face. I held up my finger to tell him to wait.

"I'm in, Kie will be here soon and we'll meet you guys there." She responded and I happily held my hand up and gave JB a thumbs up, showing she agreed.

"See you then, I love you."

"I love you too." After hanging up the phone I switched into swim trunks, we waited for Sarah to arrive then made our way to the beach.

>>>>

"See!? There ya go!" I cheered Y/n on as she finally surfed her first wave without any help and without falling. She threw her hands in the air and jumped into the water, it was a celebratory splash. When she resurfaced we all began telling her how good she did.

"You're definitely getting better." Pope said and paddled a bit closer to give her a high five.

"You looked like a pro out there." Sarah beamed and they shared a smile.

"I wanna go deeper and hit bigger waves." Y/n stated, but yet when she looked to me it seemed like more of a question. The thought of it made me nervous but I couldn't tell her what to do, plus, I'd be there the whole time.

"I don't know, Y/n, the waves get gnarly out there." Kiara warned and gave me a 'help me out' look. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to side with Kie to ease my own nerves but if I did then Y/n would think I don't believe she can do it.