[38]

Prom was right around the corner and all the high school students were excited for that last even before their graduation. 

Tim should have been excited too but he had a lot on his mind.

Bruce had told him that he shouldn't overthink and that he was keeping watch over Olivia himself but still sometimes, he got very unnerved by her. He had known Olivia ever since they were kids and he had a clear understanding of her behavior because she was rather similar to him.

But right then, Olivia was acting much more confident than earlier. She enjoyed being with the group of friends she had other than Tim, she adapted to situations very easily and each time he was with her, he just felt slightly uncomfortable.

As if he was with an entirely different person pretending to be Olivia by teasing him and acting like her. But he would sometimes brush those suspicions away to just be a result of him going paranoid and not getting proper sleep at night.

But she still made him uncomfortable and it worried him because he hadn't felt that before.

Perhaps it was the fact that he felt he was somehow always being watched and observed in her presence.

Or maybe it was the fact that she no longer hesitated to get close to him.

He drew the line when she kissed him in the library. He had to because he couldn't let her go further.

Something was definitely not right and the real Olivia would never get that comfortable around him to just close the gap between them and capture his lips with her own.

Especially not in a public place as a library where other students would very well be present at the time.

She would never take the first step and that too with no hesitation.

And he knew that because he would never do something like that himself. So despite the fact that she had kissed him and he wouldn't have pulled apart if not for the chill he had felt go down his spine, he gently pushed her back.

"Olivia, stop," he spoke, his voice shaky, "please don't do that again."

She paused, her black eyes focused on him, "but why? I thought we liked each other."

Her lips had puckered into a frown as if his act of pushing her away had disappointed her. But he took in a deep breath, taking a step back.

"I... I like you but I don't think I'm ready for anything more than friendship right now," he remarked, not wanting to hurt her feelings in case his suspicions turned out to be wrong, "I need some time... And space... Can you give that to me?"

She shrugged, "I guess I read the moment wrong then."

"You know, here's what's wrong. You don't read moments anymore," his voice was slightly cold and it seemed he was starting to get frustrated, "I am not comfortable with you when you get so close. You shouldn't do that."

"Oh come on, Tim, you're making a fuss out of nothing," she tried to reach out to him but he took another step back, "alright, fine. Take your time and space. And when you feel comfortable enough only then will I accompany you to prom, 'kay?"

His heartbeat was racing and his thoughts were a mess. None of it was right. Either he was going insane or everybody else was unable to notice the little things that he could see.

"I'm sorry, Liv... I'm sorry for all of this," he ran a hand through his hair, trying to calm himself down, "I need some time to think and maybe you should take some time to think it over too. I'll... I'll not be driving you home this evening either. I need to go somewhere..."